Just for you, paw-paw lovers

Same reason for me growing! I have a hard enough time keeping my mangos alive from the couple freezes a year! It would be nice to have something with cherimoya taste and texture thats also cold hardy!

i just planted a supreme grade horns white! Cant wait to taste! Has anyone ever tasted?

2 Likes

I know some on the forum have tested it before but I have not. I plan to RE-graft it next year, it didnā€™t make it last year.

1 Like

He probably ate McDonaldā€™s and snoked cigarettes too!

1 Like

Where did you see information on Benson being a Susquehanna seedling?

I was told by KSU staff that benson was a seedling of Susquehanna.

2 Likes

Do you remember who?
Maybe I will email Sheri Crabtree & ask.

1 Like

My files indicate that Chappell (KSU 4-1), is thought to be a seedling of Susquehanna with an unknown pollen donor, and that ā€™ KYSU Benson (ā€˜KSU 7-5ā€™), resulted from a failed graft in an older section of the orchard that had not been well tended. Please fact check and correct me if my data is false.

1 Like

Need young, unadulterated taste buds to be a truly effective taste tester of pawpaw fruits.

2 Likes

I believe young or old, some taste buds detect a slight toxic bitterness that others donā€™t and this is what separates paw paw fans, from the indifferent. However, Iā€™ve only tasted them as grown in my northeastern area.

3 Likes

I was told by Sherry Crabtree that according to their records ā€˜KSU Bensonā€™ was a seedling of ā€˜susquehannaā€™ and ā€˜KSU Chappellā€™ was an unknown seedling from a hedgerow. You can double check with her or Dr. Pomper.

1 Like

Thanks. I will double check this.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: :tulip: :sunflower:

1 Like

:pear: :strawberry: :avocado:

What is your point? I hope you arenā€™t trolling, but if you are joking, I donā€™t get it. If you are trolling, please take it down- that isnā€™t a feature of this forum. I, for one, am too old for that form of exchange. If it was an innocent joke, I apologize for not getting it.

Napalm has nothing to do with plant bitterness, even if petroleum comes from plants (and animals). I expect that napalm probably tastes a bit like gasoline, something I have tasted when siphoning it. I have discussed the issue of paw-paw bitterness on this forum and with fellow growers in my area, and the ones in my area that Iā€™ve discussed this with who adore paw-paws can detect no bitterness. The ones who donā€™t, can.

:hibiscus: :cherries: :peach:

1 Like

I was only trying to understand your post, if I was assuming anything I wouldnā€™t have questioned you. I even pre-apologized, but hereā€™s another apology for suggesting negative motives on your part. But please donā€™t assume that someone who misses one of your jokes is lacking a sense of humor- the internet is not a complete form of communication- thatā€™s why folks use emojis.

Of course the leaves smell toxic- thatā€™s why only a starving deer is likely to eat them.

1 Like

Donā€™t bother him, Alanā€¦heā€™s been buying seeds and trees like crazyā€¦so encourage his youthful zeal. Us old folks donā€™t get that excited about things as younger ones like Osteen does.

2 Likes

Heā€™s forgiven me for my half accusation, so allā€™s good. I fault myself for not giving him the benefit of the doubt but his 2 comments preceding mine confused me. Iā€™m just not always in tune with the lingo of the youngsters nowadays, but thatā€™s probably the point. It was when I was young- our lingo was like a signifier that we were not like those old fogies and I donā€™t blame anyone for wanting some separation from us boomers.

Oh wait, Osteen is a boomer- heā€™s been eating paw paws for 60 years. I had my first one only 25 years ago.

3 Likes

Sheri Crabtree response:
Yes, KSU-Benson is an open pollinated seedling of Susquehanna, the other parent is unknown at this point. Descriptions of Benson and Chappell can be found in the Register of New Fruit and Nut Cultivars here: Register of New Fruit and Nut Cultivars List 50 in: HortScience Volume 55 Issue 7 (2020)

3 Likes