Just had my first White Fleshed Peach

Not sure what variety it was, but I REALLY enjoyed it. Much more than yellow fleshed acid varieties. Kind of reminded me of a sweeter pear with a more appealing texture. It was a clingstone.

Anyway… after trying a few of these, I want to grow some of my own now (duhhh). Through my research I’ve found that Saturn and White Lady would be good options here in the mid-atlantic.

Can anyone recommend another low acid peach that does well here?

2 Likes

I don’t know about low acid, but Blushingstar is said to do well in the mid-Atlantic region. I had one but lost it before it fruited, so I can’t help you on the taste.

2 Likes

White Lady is good.

Sugar May is also a very good white peach and comes earlier.

@GANGGREEN mentioned Blushingstar. It is a late-season white peach- the best I have tasted.

3 Likes

Ross,
Did you plant any white peach back in 2017? How did it go?
I am thinking to grow a white peach next year. Thanks!

1 Like

Matt,
Would you please make some recommendations on white peach varieties? I am in Northern VA. I do see some peaches here, but never find one with fruits. Maybe it is too difficult for most average hone owners. If you could only plant two white peach trees, what would you choose? Thanks!

I added 3-4 plus an Arctic Glo nectarine. Harvesting my first nectarines now. The jury is still out as to whether I like white or yellow flesh better.

1 Like

Thank you Ross!
You are in Philadelphia, so very similar climate to here. It would be great to see your evaluation!

Matt has a new account now, so I will tag him with that one :+1:

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

I love white peaches as well, the ones I have are planted from seed though and don’t have a variety name… I am for sure going to save some sprouts and try to get another tree or 2 out of the ones I have though! So definitely worth tracking one down :+1:

Best white peach for true white peach flavor is Blushingstar (prolific, mid-late season, best taste).

Other favorites are Sugar May (early season) and White Lady (vigorous tree, early-mid ripener).

Raritan Rose also good, but has more sour in the flavor profile (mid season).

Oldmixon-Free (mine from last year pictured below) is a special late ripener with raspberry overtones.

Arctic Glo is a great white nect, and comes in early. Annoyingly clingstone and another with the sour raspberry thing going on- but on steroids- the flavor is strong in a good way.

9 Likes

There are other whites I intended to trial, but did not have the opportunity to taste yet:

Snowqueen (not grower friendly in East?)
Snowbrite (don’t have it)
Silver Logan (not grower friendly in East?)
John Rivers (mine is grafted/flowers but no fruit yet)
Zin Dai Jiu Bao (graft failed)
White Diamond (suffered die-back/clinging to life)

Also the Red/White peaches
Sanguine Tardeva (graft/tree died)
Indian Free (tree/graft died)
(… and there are other similar “Sanguine” peaches… “Black Boy” etc etc)

And the “Honey peaches”
Athena (graft failed)
Pallas (don’t have)

2 Likes

Thank you Matt for your input!
I will definitely research blushingstar. How difficult to grow it based on your experiences?
I looked around here. Most peach trees in home orchards are not doing very well. Many of them have yellowish leaves and are slowly dying.

How much room do you have
Why Not plant the seeds, I hear peach comes close to parents , but not sure how true it is.

I know a old Yahoo Group Jon Would plant out seeds a lot to see what He’d get if no good you could always graft over it time always passes anyways so could just plant , and get a variety of white for the fruit sooner as well while your seedlings growing.
(Before yahoo removed yahoo group Jon was from organic Homesteading Gardening )

Matt,
I just ate the best peach I’ve ever had the other day. It was an Indian Blood freestone. Absolutely amazing. Gotta grow it if you’re not.

6 Likes

I’m jealous. I had a beautiful little Indian Free tree once, but a deer rubbed it to pieces. Never tasted it.