K1 rootstock working so far

Do you paint the trunks of the potted trees?

I painted trunks and it didn’t do anything really. Note the neem may not be a good thing for apple trunks, but I have never had any problem with the trees complaining for peaches.

I don’t have many trees on citation but they also got borers, not as badly though. My O’Henry is on Citation. It is fading a bit now, starting its 14th year.

A few of them. I painted some inground trees too. Some paint i used…maybe it was interior…it wore off quickly.

I have like a dozen pluot seedlings but am unsure if they are even compatible with peaches…so i need to try that out this summer. They are very strong growers…probably just as much as any peach i’ve grown. I’m putting a line of them in the ground. Going to test hardiness on them too.

Fruitnut. The color of the apricots is spectacular. They look sweet! Are they juicy too?

When soft ripe they are nice and juicy. They are as good as they look, maybe better.

Yeah, I was wondering about the best time for paint application. You want to what until most of the spring growth spurt is done, else it would crack and fall off from the growth. It would be best to paint right before adult borers show up.

Some claim that it helps. I guess it it better than nothing. It might provide a nice protective barrier to protect trees sensitive to neem.

I had troubles with some that I potted last year. Alcedo mentioned that they are known to suffer from micronutrient deficiencies more than other rootstocks. So, I added more micronutrients than than I usually do. They did green up and start growing toward the end of summer. Strangely, the new growth has white flowers this year. I didn’t expect that on such young trees.

I probably won’t paint them again. I did noticed the paint was cracking and figured it was due to growth. I’ll try the neem and then continue to spray in hopes that i can get them under control. If i look, i can almost always find/kill them early in the spring… We’ll see what happens.

I don’t have any container Krymsk 1 right now. All are in the ground. The tallest is maybe 2ft but it was taller last fall but a rabbit chomped it some. Maybe they’ll “take” off a little more this summer. They are all greening up now and covered with flowers…although i plan on stripping them because i need them to focus on put on enough growth to bud onto.

1 Like

How did the Pluot’s do as rootstock?