Kaki and hybrid seedling growout project

This was not really a planned project but figure I would make some lemonade. Really not sure where I can take it as I really don’t want to dedicate prime space to growing these out to found out how they turn out. They will probably get planted out along some woodland edge in a couple years. The 15 gal pot by itself is a mix of non-astringent seed parent. I imagine the majority would still be astringent but I enjoy both. The other pic shows a 5 gal of Sheng seeds and a larger pot of Nikita’s Gift seedlings. The N.G. I am kind of excited about as by default they are Hybrid as N.G. is. I am not sure if the Pollen parent for the N.G. seedlings are Native Virginiana that I have about and assume are 60 chromosome based on my location, but think likely are from a Kaki I had sowing his oats last season. The pure Kaki I imagine are pollinated by this kaki Giomba (not Giombo/Gionbo) I had in my orchard last year See this post. Giomba I found the culprit

3 Likes

Phil,

Good luck on the Kaki project. I hope a few seedlings turn out good fruits. It is usually takes about 6-7 years to produce but if you take some seedling scions and graft them on a major tree then you can save yourself a few years on production.

Tony

2 Likes

The bugs will tell you the good ones from bad ones when they start picking on the leaves, at least in my experience with apples and cherries.

2 Likes

Hey Phil. Any update on this project?

1 Like

I separated them out into individual pots this spring. They must have thinned themselves out quite a bit as I think I have maybe 40 plants. They are just in 1 gal mostly so did not make great growth. I will move them up to 3 gal and from there I don’t know where as really I need to plant them out but not sure where I will do that.

1 Like

I wonder if keeping them in pots and restricting their root growth might get them to fruit at a younger age. I think @castanea may have done this with some success.

3 Likes

That’s my guess. I don’t think mine would have flowered in the ground.