Keener Seedling Apple

Has anyone tasted Keener Seedling apple? Reported to have excellent disease resistance but descriptions of taste are murky. Is the flesh dry? Do you like the taste? Thanks.

2 Likes

Big Horse Creek Farm says:The white flesh is somewhat juicy, crisp, fine-grained with a pleasant subacid nutty flavor. Ripens in early October and is considered a good keeper

I have not tasted it, in fact, until you mentioned it I’d never even heard of it. Unusual looking.

1 Like

Its nickname is Rusty Coat, although there are probably dozens of varieties called Rusty Coat. Hunters plant it to attract deer.

That is one fine looking apple.

2 Likes

My grandfather Ernest Conner lived in western Lincoln County, N.C. (where this apple originated) from 1902 - 1988. Although I don’t know if he grew it since he was a cotton sharecropper and moved around to at least 3 or 4 locations, his family considered Rusty Coat to be the finest apple available. My grandmother made apple pies on a wood stove, 3 or 4 at a time. No one has ever made such spectacular apple pies with such a fine, thin crust which was always baked perfectly. They were usually made with Rusty Coats. My mother, who is 92, still says there is no other apple that can compare for making pies. I’ve ordered scionwood from Horse Creek Farm and will graft some trees this spring to see how they do in western Virginia.

11 Likes

What a cool story! love to find me a woman to cook some apple pie on the wood stove😂

I expect that they’ll do fine there. They even do well here in Northern California.

Thanks Jerry! I’m glad to hear that, and it is another confirmation of comments I’ve read online that Keener Seedling has wide adaptability even in northern growing areas. I’ve read for years about varieties named Rusty Coat, and figured out that it was a common name for many different local favorite varieties with russeted skin. The description of Keener Seedling and the documentation of origin convinced me it was most likely to be the apple the Conners knew.

2 Likes

i just tried this apple at Century Farm Orchards this past Saturday and it was delicious. My kids all loved it too. I dropped my Golden Russet tree to add this one - it had a great flavor and appearance, and with great disease resistance it’s a no-brainer!

2 Likes

When I went to last years event that was one of my favorites as well. Along with Brushy mountain and Swiss limbertwigs. Awesome little apples.

2 Likes

There is no no-brainer replacement for Golden Russet.

But I would like to try this one.

1 Like

Haha you’re probably right, I’m new to these varieties. The keener seedling is a very late ripening apple and they were picked the day before I tried them, whereas the golden russets had been in storage a while. Straight off the tree I’m sure it’s better. Either way, Keener is legit