Keep your hands off my nut seeds

Maybe this time I won’t lose all my hazel and oak seed. 1/2" hardware cloth over treepots.

16 Likes

Question being how long do you wait to remove it. Even after germination, I’m guessing they could still be at risk to squirrels. Maybe leave it in place and eventually cut it off at the end of the season?

2 Likes

Sean at Edible Acres had major issues with rodents digging up seedling nut trees and shrubs even after months of growth. His solution was to build a hardware cloth cage that sat over his air prune beds. This prevented the majority of the seedlings from growing through the wire while still excluding the rodents. If you’re set on using tree pots you might have to build a cage that sits around all of them and still allows room for growth, or you may end up with one stupid squirrel stealing all of your freshly germinated nuts in one single afternoon.

3 Likes

I was figuring on making some sort of cage once they are growing. I had a few hazels the mice didn’t get right away last winter, but came back when they were around 6" to finish the job.

1 Like

Nicely done!

1 Like

You could also try to electrify the cage… Crispy squirrels tell friends tales :rofl:

2 Likes