Key lime

Today I planted the key lime in the ground. Happy growing!
03/17/20

13 Likes

May11
I forgot to do an update on this key lime, it’s putting out a second round of blooms.

7 Likes

You won’t be sorry, best citrus I hever grew. Had it in RI! Made the best pies!

5 Likes

Very nice. When they are happy they put out too many limes for one family to eat. Very prolific.

4 Likes

7.5 months in the ground. So far it’s holding about 13-15 fruit. It’s growing more fruit then leaves LOL. There’s the new crop on top.

11 Likes

How big do they get?
Heard it’s a natural semi dwarf.
I have a few seedlings.

2 Likes

Do they grow slow? I have one i got over the summer (mail order)…i’m not sure it has put on any growth, but looks fine.

1 Like

Boizeau - Someone on another site has one in Indio CA and his is about 7 feet
warmwxrules - I have only had two sets of leaves but quite a few flushes of blooms. Not to say that won’t change as the tree gets older. Since this is in the ground they sometimes take longer to establish but then they really take off.

1 Like

.Matt, your tree’s are looking pretty healthy, doing the right things for sure.

2 Likes

I grew them for years. They are really a bush. Mine grew to just under 6’tall.

3 Likes

Again, very impressive for your climate.

3 Likes

That was in RI. They don’t have key limes in France. They would grow beautifully here.

1 Like

It is probably the most cold tender citrus, so mine will winter indoors.
My Mandarinquat can probably take some frost.

Surprisingly it’s not the most sensitive citrus. limes and lemons are the most cold hardy out of the citrus family. It makes a difference if they are in ground vs in pots of course.

1 Like

You’re right. My pots are huge.

Limes are more sensitive than lemons. When I lived in San Jose you would find lots of big lemon trees and no limes. Limes were my only citrus that experienced die back from cold when I lived there.

2 Likes

That’s my experience, too, on the Marin coast.

1 Like

Well
I’ll just have to bring the Limes inside before the frost.

How to deal with cottony cushion scale and mites on Citrus?

Mexican Limes are the most frost sensitive. I have ours planted closer to the house.