Kiwi varieties - what's your favorite?

Picked this thread out of the many kiwi ones.

I received my Saanichton female and Matea male from Fruitwood nursery this week.

The saanichton looks a little weak at the moment. See photo. Female on the right.

My question is how to handle these plugs during winter. Do I leave them out and only take them in during freezing weather? Do I bring them inside and put them under a timed grow light till spring? If so on a heating mat or room temperature? Would I risk them getting leggy or do vines even suffer like vegetables do from that?

At $7 plus shipping for a plug, it’s not the end of the world if I need to reorder the female in late winter, but I’d like to get them ready for spring planting in better shape than they are right now.

Thanks

3 Likes

I am not sure where you are located but I am in zone 7b (NC) and here I would let them go dormant or nearly so. Then put them in an unheated garage or some place where it is not likely to go below 32F. They do not need light once dormant. Check them once every 3 weeks or so to make certain they do not completely dry out. Keep them barely moist but not too wet. Move them outside once frost danger is over.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Since they were only $7 plus shipping, worst case I rebuy in spring.

I’ll keep them out till the few leaves they have drop, minus below 32 nights, whenever they do occur

1 Like

Went ahead and bought another male fuzzy, another Saanichton, and added an Elmwood.

These are in good shape. Soil coming in the next few weeks to prep the kiwi area and the rest of my garden areas. 10 yds… Time to get back into shape!

2 Likes

My favorites are sungold and sorelli

1 Like