Known apple seedling rootstock cultivars?

…besides antonovka, I know there has to be more.

In my region it is also Jadernička Moravská and malus sylvestris.

Paradise, Borowinka, Bittenfelder , Muz Alma, Northern Spy? Doucin. Virtually every crab has been tried.

awesome, now to find some seeds or scion! Thank you.

If you’re going to use a seedling I’d pick a bunch of crab apples off a local, established healthy-looking tree. You mentioned Antonovka, so you’re presumably not looking for dwarfing.

1 Like

Looks like you are in Oregon so I would expect Pacific Crab (Malus fusca) to be a good choice.

1 Like

M. fusca sounds like a nice choice. I wanted to grow more crab apples as it is.

1 Like

I have about a half dozen or so apple varieties grafted to malus fusca. It is easily grown from seed after cold stratification. It is the best apple rootstock choice for very wet soil conditions, (hence the name swamp crabapple). At the same time Malus Fusca is also supposed to tolerate drought conditions quite well.

My Malus Fusca grafted trees are still small, but I’m quite happy with their progress so far. Malus Fusca is supposed to be a semi dwarfing rootstock. Some local nurseries in my area have started selling Malus Fusca with grafted varieties, so it is becoming more widely accepted at least with home growers.

The are a few sources online for Malus Fusca seeds if you wish to grow seedlings yourself.

2 Likes