Korean Giant and Moonglow

There are many great nurseries. Cummins nursery has great harrow sweet trees typically available on ohxf87 rootstock https://shop.cumminsnursery.com/shop/pear-trees . Many nurseries frequent this website and grow fantastic non patented trees at a good price but harrow sweet is a patented type and not one many nurseries grow. It’s difficult for me to recommend a specific place sometimes but in this case the question is who sells the tree at all and sells good quality trees.

2 Likes

There are several excellent grafting videos that many members here like.

Some are done by @SkillCult, @applenut and a British man named Stephen Hayes. These gentlemen made excellent videos about grafting and fruit trees. Check them out.

1 Like

With new Euro pears (for me) setting fruit,I have always struggled with when to pick them. This is partly because several Euro pears need to be refrigerated as part of ripening process and partly because they break down internally when let hang too long on trees.

I hope all pears from the Harrow station do not need chill time. I know Harrow Sweet does not. This year I have Harrow Delight and Harvest Queen setting a few fruit.

@Auburn and @clarkinks Do you refrigerated Ayers and Duchess?

3 Likes

@mamuang
Most pear trees do not require chilling when ripening but some are better quality when chilled. The pears i grow are not like bosc which really benefit from chilling. Most of my pears are the disease resistant type and for those mentioned such as ayers and Duchess D’ Angoulme ive seen little difference if chilled or not. Ive tried it with asian pears as well again not seeing much difference but Drippin’ Honey was particularly good that year which may have had something to do with the chilling. When i refrigerate pears its just to makes them last longer.

3 Likes

Thanks, Clark. I don’t think I’ve Bosc. The E pear varieties I grow I can’t in supermarket.

I have fruited several Asian pears. Never need chilling before consumption. Like you said. I refrigerate them so they last longer.

1 Like

@mamuang

@fruitnut is the only orchardist i know who can grow bosc. The bosc pear is particularly finicky on where it likes to grow. Bosc is a disease magnet so the climate needs to be just right for them. Im going to try and grow it again at some point. Im growing some difficult types now such as forelle, clapps favorite, bartlett just to name a few.

1 Like

In addition to @mamuang 's great suggestions I would mention @Jsacadura’s videos.We have several people here who give excellent, experience-based grafting advice, but I’m not going to mention any because I’ll no doubt leave out somebody!

3 Likes

Such a wealth of info here! Thanks for chiming in, everyone. Will check out those videos. A “nectarine” purchased specifically to cross pollinate another nec turned out to be a big (well, for me) sweet peach with little disease evidence so I’d certainly like to try grafting wood from that onto other peach trees.

2 Likes

Most nectarines and peaches are self fertile. No need for cross pollination.

1 Like

The patent on Harrow Sweet expired in 2015 (USPP9863P - `Harrow Sweet` pear - Google Patents).

5 Likes

That’s really good news for those of us who love grafting! It’s a nice late summer / early fall pear i must admit i would like some more of.

4 Likes

I planted a Chojuro pear this year in Nebraska and started grafting Asain pear on the invasive species of Bradford. I’m wondering what varieties would do best here in Nebraska zone 5. Looking to grafting a lot of pears next spring.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 lives in Nebraska. Between Tony and @clarkinks, you probably will get loads of suggestions.

1 Like

@Beeman
Chojuro has been a fireblight problem here in Kansas but i do love the flavor. As @mamuang mentioned you might look at this thread Here comes the 2018 apple & pear harvest! and this one Here comes the 2016 apple and Pear harvest! to see what does good for me in Kansas

1 Like

Can you say a word about your bagging? Looks like plastic bags. For some reason I thought they would need to be open to air, but I have no idea. I have used footies, woven bags.

A lot of bagging has been discussed with photos included. For example

If you’d like to look for some info, on the top of a page, there is a symbol of a looking glass. Click on it. That is a Search function page. Type in a key word, such as “bagging”, threads that discussed bagging will show up. You can peruse them to your heart’s content.

2 Likes

Lots of great info in here :+1:

1 Like

Been there, done that. Made so many mistakes but it has been a lot of fun and rewards, too.

Many questions you have may have been asked before. Use a search function will save you time. Can’t find the info, ask away. We are here to learn and to share.

2 Likes

Thanks mamuang

1 Like

Watched a video, corner cut on baggie to allow excess moisture to vent. Fruit coming out looked great. I will definitely try this. I may do a comparison so I can learn from it. Baggie, footie, surround. Thanks

1 Like