Krymsk 86

How productive is the K86 rootstock compared to Guardian, etc.? I saw you posted a note that K86 is the slowest to come out of dormancy which is good to avoid late freezes.
Thanks, Frank

1 Like

How well did the K86 do in growing peaches? How precocious?
THanks,
Frank

1 Like

@wfwalton, Every time I see your pic I have to pause. You look just like my father that passed away in 2006. Not quite a doppelgänger, but very similar.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for sharing. I can tell he must have been a great guy!
God bless,
Frank

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, according to Ioanis’ presentation he made a few years ago, K86 is supposed to be slightly smaller/less productive than lovell (but barely worth noting). Guardian is suppose to be lovell+10% or something (also barely worth noting). For many people, unless you’re operating a commercial nursery, I doubt these things will be noticeable on a smaller planting scale with less rigid pruning schedule/form.

The dormancy thing is pf more value to people in zone 6,5,4. The slow acclimation trait is on both sides of the season though. It takes longer to come out of dormancy, which is good for late frosts. This is because it has a long acclimation period.

However, the counter is also true for the fall. If you get a sudden fall freeze, this is expected to do more damage than the same cultivar grafted onto lovell. It takes longer to “warm” up for spring, but it also takes longer to “shut down” for the fall.

4 Likes

THanks! About how long of a delay, in general, is the K86 rootstock for peaches compared to others like Lovell, etc?
Blessings,
Frank

1 Like

I’ll be honest. I remember the presentation gave some timeline examples, but I’m don’t
remember that part of it clearly. I would be hesitant to throw a number out there.

If this is an important detail in your consideration of K86, I would encourage you to send Ioanis an email. He is responsive in my experience.

1 Like

I wanted to revisit this thread.

I am planning to buy a small number of rootstock for future plum, apricot, and interspecific varieties. Maybe even peach and nectarine.

I was going down the Lovell trail for a while, but I’m reading that Krymsk 86 has a bit better waterlogged soil tolerance as well as better anchorage.

Does anyone have enough growing time now to compare them?

The thread link shown in am above post is no longer available.

Both Krymsk 86 and Lovell appear to be available retail, and I’ve struck out trying to find Rootpac-R retail or even a tree grafted on it retail.

Southern Louisiana, Zone 9a.

Soil:
About a foot or a bit more of building soil then alluvial silty slightly sandy loose clay. Not enough clay content to smear.

Digging a hole and filling with water it takes quite a few hours to drain, so knowing I get 60+ inches of rain annually, there will certainly be saturated soil after heavy rains.

I plant all my trees mounded to raise the root crown and prevent even momentary flooding to a about 8-12 inches.

1 Like

So never mind.

I’m going with Rootpac-R which I found retail.

See post here.

Cloudmountain nursery is offering peaches on Krymsk 86, they said the trees on this root stock are doing good. Any other nursery you know offering this rootstock.

2 Likes

Once I found Rootpac-R I stopped looking for Krymsk 86 for stone fruit.

Sierra Gold nursery also will sell Krymsk 86, but again it’s on soil, $25/ea, minimum 5 trees per order retail.

Shipping for me to Louisiana for 6 rootpac-r whips was $140 in addition to the 6x$25 for the trees.

There may be a bare root option for Krymsk 86 out there retail. Most bare root I’ve seen sell for around $5 a piece plus shipping.

1 Like

Hi Ahmad.
I have experience with Krymsk-86.
The difference between Lowell and Krymsk-86 is that in conditions of high humidity or even waterlogging, Krymsk-86 has no problems and Lowell has much lower resistance, suffers root asphyxiation and died.

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

The ranking of rootstocks most resistant to waterlogging are these three:

• Adesoto 101 Puebla de Soto (practically immune)
  • Rootpack-R
  • Krymsk-86

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

How about St.Julien one of the widely used rootstock in Pacific North West.

1 Like

Hi Oregon_Fruit_Grow.
San Julian is a rootstock obtained by the INRA of France, there are actually 2 San Julian:

• San Julian GF 655-2 (the most used), because it is more homogeneous

• Saint Julian A ( very little vigorous )

Both have similar characteristics, they are suitable for heavy and clay soils, since they are quite resistant to suffocation, but they do not tolerate waterlogging.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

thank you.

1 Like

Does anyone know where I can get small quantities of Krymsk-86 in the U.S.?

1 Like

I find several places selling them online but you can’t tell always if they are commercial only nurseries or not.

Also for bare root it’s still a bit early for nurseries to show them in stock. They should be getting their inventory in the coming few months.

If it’s bare root you won’t get them until late winter early spring anyway.

The only alternative I’m aware of is Sierra Gold Nursery which can ship them now on soil (1/2 gallon pots), but it’s hella expensive at minimum 5 @$25/ea plus a bunch for shipping… Unless you live close enough to pick them up.

They are in Yuba, CA.

2 Likes

Hi Masbustelo, here you have Krymsk 86, but very expensive in price

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Here is what Willamette Nurseries said:
We do have a minimum order of one bundle per size and variety of rootstock. If the size is 1/8" or 3/16", they come in bundles of 100. If they are 1/4" or larger, they come in bundles of 50. The rooted cuttings (RC) also come in bundles of 50.

That being said, we are completely sold out of the Krymsk 86 for next Spring. We do not grow many of them so they sell out rather quickly. We roll over our customer’s orders from year to year, so if we are sold out this year, we will be sold out for next year already unless someone else cancels their order. It is very difficult getting into the rotation for that variety unfortunately.

2 Likes