L.E. Cooke's Plumcot

Among the plumcots/pluots offered by L.E. Cooke, one is listed simply as “Plumcot”. The description reads: “Large apricot size, round. Yellow, blushed melon red skin. Golden yellow, juicy, plum-like flesh with aromatic touch of apricot flavor. A Luther Burbank introduction. Tree form and fruit appearance favors plum parent. Ripens: Early June.”

There have been 11 plumcot varieties introduced by Luther Burbank, and only a few survived to this day. Based on the photo, description, and ripening time, I would guess that L.E. Cooke’s Plumcot is Apex, but I’m not 100% sure. Does anyone know for sure?

Here is Burbank’s own description of the Apex Plumcot:
“The best of plumcots so far produced is Apex, a final selection in 1911. Ripens with very earliest of plums, about June 10, and three weeks earlier inland. Tree is strong, upright grower, and never fails to bear full crop, even where apricots are failures. This productiveness is unusual in plumcots of such superior quality. Fruit is extremely handsome, very large for an early fruit, 1.5-2” in diameter, globular, pink or light crimson. Flesh is honey yellow, firm, rich, aromatic, resembling apricot, sweet and delicious. Resembles apricot very decidedly in form, size, and quality of fruit, while it is more like plum in foliage, upright growth, productiveness, and smooth-skinned fruit."

1 Like

I can ask the owner of LE Cooke for you. I’m expecting to see him this weekend at a CRFG event.

2 Likes

Thank you Tyler, I would appreciate that!

1 Like

@Stan, Unfortunately I didn’t get the answer you were looking for. I asked the owner about the specific variety name of their plumcot and he said the only name it has is “plumcot.” He was not aware Luther Burbank introduced any other plumcots because the next thing he said was that the other plumcots you are referring to must be the pluots introduced by Zaiger Genetics. I was disappointed by this answer as I’m sure you will be too.

-Tyler

1 Like

Thank you for trying Tyler! Most likely, only two of Luther Burbank’s plumcots have survived: Apex and Rutland (all others are known only from Burbank’s descriptions and photographs). Since Rutland has red flesh and ripens significantly later, LE Cooke’s plumcot must be Apex, it matches the description very well. Both Apex and Rutland are available from CRFG scion exchanges. In my experience, Apex is a very high quality fruit, especially for the early season.

1 Like

I picked up an L.E. Cooke plumcot scion at the Golden Gate exchange this past Saturday. Looking forward to growing it.

1 Like