Last week's delivery to mom

Mike,

Specifically, what factors determine the right time to spray: wind, rain, air temperature, buds & bloom state, leave? And what’s the measure of the “poisons”? I have absolutely no experience in spraying except last year using Sevin to battle the J. beetles chomped down my 4 years old grape and cherry in 2.5 days!

Tom

1 Like

Mine either, yet the neglected apple trees up and down my street are destroyed by them. This was the first year I sprayed Imidan and the first year ever I’ve had zero PC issues. I tried everything for a long time as PC was always by far the most destructive pest here and only Imidan has delivered. Love the stuff.

Tom,

Remember that there is no " start or stop". There are just cycles of different things that have to be done that come and go throughout the year. Some are longer and more time consuming than others but all are important to the whole.

For my own sanity, in my head, the “start” is the awakening spring cycle which is ruled by the “bud & bloom” awakening. That is my marker to get active and start the spraying after the winter doldrums.

Remember there are things to do in the fall after harvest AND after leaves fall and of course there are dormant sprays.

As I said, my base is the Alan’s spray regimen which he has posted here several times and which is always undergoing review and adjustment.

Post harvest and dormant sprays are also very important. This year I will have to be much more diligent in dealing with shothole and some scale.

This spring I bought a high pressure sprayer which can produce a very fine spray. I hope that the fine spray and the velocity at which it applies will reach all the nooks and crannies.

This year those are my areas of concern and are probably different than yours.

Mike

Mike,

What dormant spray that I need to worry about? Neem oil after leave drop on everything?

Tom

I would really like to be part of the forum - please don’t flag my comments!

Sarah - Fruitfull offices

Sarah:

I don’t want to speak for everyone but my thought is contribute without promoting and you’ll be welcome.

1 Like

@fruitforoffices

Sarah,

I think that it was the commercial nature of the link you used as your signature.

But by all means join and partake and share.

Mike

Many thanks, our business has just bought a share in an urban garden in Vancouver down town. We are looking forward to next years fruit harvest and we are here for tips and ideas. http://www.urbanfarmers.ca/

We are a business but we are not here to advertise. We only deliver to down town Vancouver atm.

Sarah,

Sent you a private message.

Mike

Well, that’s what we’re here for - sharing tips, ideas, and experiences, both good and bad. We have several trusted members who have commercial businesses, but none who use the forum to promote them, including through signature links.

Even if you provided local service, GrowingFruit would probably be a dead end for advertising. After all, we’re all focused on growing our own to get results that outstrip anything that can be bought. It would be like offering a sandwich to a man who had just finished a feast.

I’d say join in and learn and share your knowledge while refraining from self-promotion and you’ll be warmly welcomed.

1 Like