Late Pawpaw

Who can recommend a late or very late pawpaw? I’ve got some early ones, crop ended today in zone 7 Maryland. I want to extend the harvest.

One Green World states that Rebecca’s Gold ripens in October in the PNW and Susquehanna is the latest of the Peterson Pawpaws. Brady
https://www.onegreenworld.com/products.php?public_product_page=2

1 Like

I was told by Cliff England that Cox #1 ripens in November.

1 Like

And on the other end of the spectrum, England’s Orchard and Nursery’s Summer Delight is supposed to be the first of the season, in case you want to start pawpawing early.

1 Like

I can vouch for Rebeccas Gold being late, last I looked they were all still green for me. I posted a picture recently of a big pawpaw cluster, that was Rebeccas Gold. Susqehanna is over for me. I think RG may be the only one with a lot left now.

1 Like

Just harvested some more Mango pawpaws this morning. There are still 20 fruits left to be harvest in a week or so. So you can extend the harvest season a bit with Mango pawpaw.

Tony

1 Like

Nice specimens. Did you pick off the tree or off the ground?

All these are off the tree. They all gave a little with a light sqeeze. They are the best tasting in my opinion. I like them a tad better than Shenandoah. Thanks to hand pollination with a small paint brush for a big time harvest.

Tony

1 Like

I need to add a revision to the above, I have two Shenandoah trees and one still has a pawpaw or two on it. So its similar to Rebeccas Gold - both are just finishing now for me.

1 Like

Thanks everybody. Will try to learn more about Cox #1, will check Cliff’s website.

I checked his web site and saw nothing about Cox #1. In fact, I can’t find any information on it on the web. The only reference I have is an email from Cliff. If you learn more, please share it with us.

Update: Cliff told me in an email that Cox #1 is very small and needs another round of cross-breeding to bring its size up to par. Cliff said for a late pawpaw try to track down Jerry Lehman’s 250-30 or 250-39 if he has released them.

1 Like

The seeds I bought from Cliff were from 250x39. He says they are fairly true to seed.

Did he say when he’ll be releasing his fall catalog?

Who can tell me if Wells or Sunflower ripen later than most of your other pawpaws? Is one later than the other? Thanks.

I can’t speak to the ripening time of those two. But many people report an unpleasant aftertaste in Sunflower

2 Likes