Latest Ripening American Persimmon

I wanted to see what are some of the last ripening American persimmons?

1 Like

Jeffrey,
I had a local D.v. selection(Crofton) that I sent scions of to Dr. Charles Dahlke at Macon, MS some years back, that held its fruits well into December here - his interest was in late-ripening/dropping persimmons for wildlife(deer) plantings.
The ortet is no longer in existence, as the fencerow it was growing in was bulldozed out a few years ago.
'simmons are way ahead of schedule here this yearā€¦ gathered nearly a gallon of ripe fruits from the trees in the orchard yesterday, and have been eating a few here and there for a week or two.

The hybrid Rosseyanka is usually not ripe here until late Oct/early Nov, and the fruits hold on the tree well.

1 Like

Thank you for that info Lucky! I have been referred to Dr. Dahlke previously but hadnā€™t got in touch. Iā€™ll try him.

[Sweet lent persimmon](http://Sweet lent persimmon)

Thanks Hillbilly! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m lookin for. Maybe we could set up a trade/sale for some scion of Lent?

:+1::+1::+1:

Perhaps my question does not fit in this subject but I found it the most logical oneā€¦
Quite often ā€œGeneva Redā€ American persimmon is said to be very late ripening. In my collection this persimmon is actually one of the first to ripen. We had a very hot summer in Europe this year and I got to eat my first ā€œGeneva redā€ persimmon Aug. 17th. exeptionally early!!! I do not have the wrong variety, it is indeed ā€œGeneva redā€. Does anyone have similar results with this variety?

1 Like
1 Like

I agree about the low-shatter persimmon. Im not necessarily trying to find a late dropping, but a late ripening variety. If it ripens early and is low-shatter(doesnā€™t fall from the tree) it is ripe for coons and birds.

2 Likes

I would also be interested in good eating quality, late ripening varieties even if they didnā€™t fall from the tree. That would be very interesting, but something like the way Jerry Lehman describes Deer Magnet (late ripening but small with a large number of seeds) sounds like it indeed isnā€™t good for anything but deer hunters. I wonder if Jerry Lehman kept track of the best of the ā€œmost very late ripening virginiana varietiesā€¦ [that] retain their fruit rather than dropping itā€¦ā€

Deer Magnet is excellent eating. Unfortunately Jerryā€™s entire orchard becomes pollinated. As I write I can tell you just as I was standing next to Lehman last Fall and him telling me that every American persimmon at a friend of his ā€˜collectionā€™ and weā€™re talking acres, has no access to male pollen and they all set excellent amounts of fruit.

I would highly recommend Deer Magnet for fresh eating.

Dax

3 Likes