Leaving Pots Outside During Winter Months

They should be ok, but if you can move them against the foundation or in a corner it is beneficial.

They should be fine, but adding an insulating layer of leaves or straw around the pots is a good safeguard. I’m in 7B, and my potted blueberries (an assortment of SHB, NHB, and rabbiteyes) have done fine even when I haven’t bothered to insulate the pots with leaves.

Good to hear. I think I’m gonna put all my blueberries in pots. Had them in a raised bed, but I think this is a better route for my limited space. Now to decide what to put in the raised bed… It’s 20 feet long, 4 feet wide.

Obviously more figs.

I would, but it’s in a shadier spot!

Damnit Kelby. Always encouraging my fig habit.

1 Like

I’ve got extra Battaglia Green and CddG if you want them :wink:

Cuttings? I’ve successfully rooted Battaglia, but my Gris cuttings are looking ify.

Rooted cuttings / young plants

I’ve got a rooted cutting of Bari if you want it! Got it in a 1 gallon adjusting to the sun.

I put my pots in the ground for winter. I don’t think the roots would like -17F.

Ross,
Do you mean to say 6a/6b? 6a/7b is quite a range.

If it is 6 a without micro climate, I would be worried. Like others say, with insulation, protection, should be doable. It may also depend on the varieties, too. Some are hardier than others.

Whoops! 6B/7A. Probably 7A because it really never gets below 0.

I leave potted blueberries out in 6a with no problems. Even in the terrible winter of 2014/15 they were fine. It’s the constant need for summer watering that gets mine.

Does anyone else have any more advice on leaving pots outside for the winter? I am planning on leaving about a dozen fruit trees outside in pots over the winter in zone 6A. They are currently in grow bags. 10 gallon size each. I have them bunched up together but I’m wondering what kind of mulch or covering to use to help protect the pots. I predict winter lows of around -10 degrees Fahrenheit or so.

Fyi, I have an assortment of apple, peach, pear, cherry, nectarine, plum, raspberry, grape, and blackberry currently potted.

1 Like

Straw works wonders: https://youtu.be/dJy1TB0YpOM

Zone 6b here, I have around 20 trees outdoor in fabric smart pots, 40 gallon size. My oldest group has been in four years, haven’t lost anyone over a winter! I do have two currants in 20 gallon fabric pots, and a newer currant and gooseberry that are in ten gallon pots that seem to be doing well, but those are also pretty hardy so not sure if it’s a great example.

1 Like

I eventually bring my trees into an unheated garage every winter, but they usually spend at least some time in freezing weather and are ok. Last year, however, I left two peach trees in appx. 10 gallon plastic containers unprotected in the orchard all winter and they both died. I’m in Ohio and we probably dipped just below 0 last year. I would definitely cover your peaches with leaves, straw or something else. Placing them against your house away from wind direction could also help, there is always some heat loss through the outside walls of a home.

2 Likes