Lessons in Lesions

Inspecting my little orchard of little trees I saw these little branches with big lesions. I don’t know what to think of them. The branch in the first photo is almost pencil caliper; the others are smaller. They don’t look like they have ever oozed, and the branch ends are OK, I guess. These are the only ones on a 5ft tall Seckel pear tree. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

1 Like

They let ok similar to cicada damage I’ve noticed on my trees in the past. Was there a lot of cicadas last year in your area?

5 Likes

I agree with @Borer_the_explorer its cicada damage. See this post 17 year cicada's woke up hungry - #5 by jujubemulberry
cicada

3 Likes

Yup. 100% cicada damage

2 Likes

I have a lot of that damage!! CICADA!!

1 Like

Dang, I have never to my knowledge seen a cicada nor heard of any such thing around here. I searched the interwebs to find out if there was any info about cicadas in Orygun and I found a lot of pages named ‘Are there cicadas in Oregon?’ Come to find out the answer is…sort of. There is a smaller, less aggressive type, and not many of them. They look big and scary but about half the pix that come up are of people holding a couple of them (for scale, I guess). My biggest concern was that the tree had some contagious blight or wasting disease. Evidently, this could be one of the varieties that don’t function on the 17 year rotation. I’ll be on the lookout. Thanks!!

1 Like

You can hear them usually before you see them

2 Likes

I got a lot too, Thanks for the knowledge!

1 Like

Yah, I went to Youtube and heard single ones…pretty distinctive sound. Around here we have frogs that make a big sound en masse…almost deafening…but if you go to where they are they get real quiet. They say that the hole in the ozone layer let through enough harsh UV or something that it fried the frog eggs. Bans on flourocarbons, etc., seemed to help. After being gone for many years, they’re back. Hug an environmentalist!
I’ll be listening. Thanks all!

4 Likes

I enjoy the song of the common toad - a pleasant and useful creature

I enjoy the song of the common toad - a pleasant and useful creature

Though I have frogs not toads…if this isn’t a famous quote, it should be.

2 Likes

I wonder if wrapping the little branch with parafilm would help it to grow back bark or at least heal up better than it is. These three branches that have the damage are inconsequential so maybe I’ll try wrapping one just to see.