Several years ago I built two basic 4x8’ raised beds using red wood planks. It’s worked pretty well and I’ve always used wire tomato cages, plus some of those green garden stakes, to manage the tomato vines. This winter one of the tomato plants didn’t die, but basically took over the equivalent of one whole veggie bed. It became so heavy that it bent over the wire cages… I also like to grow cucumbers and the wire cages and green stakes just didn’t cut it last year.
The original veggie bed design called for 1" pvc pipe pieces screwed into the walls of the bed for use as the foundation for row covers. I’ve never used them, but decided to do so this year and build a PVC trellis system. It’s definitely a bit haphazard, I used what ever bits of 3/4" PVC pipe I had laying around and only bought more when I ran out of pipe.
Monster tomato right in the middle of everything. I’ve had to trim it back as it obstructed the lawn sprinklers and was shading out other parts of the veggie bed. Producing like crazy right now!
Initial planting of another tomato plan (Black Krim) and some cukes. Only one cucumber has survived, I used fish emulsion underneath each one and one of the dogs dug up each one of them.
And the other end showing a part of the drip irrigation system. Also garden twine is coming down from the PVC pipe and is starting to provide support to the snow peas.