Let's see your raised beds. I need ideas

Here’s a small 4ft by 2ft raised bed made with 6x6 inch pressure treated lumber.

5 Likes

I purchased these off of ebay see the attached link. They are easy to put together.https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-Ft-Raised-Metal-Garden-Bed-Patio-Backyard-Flower-Vegetable-Grow-Planter-New/391597616448?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

5 Likes

New raised planters made by local fellow here in San Diego, CA. Open bottom, made from cedar, and height to garden without bending over.

21 Likes

My “one per year” built yesterday. Carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow. Got it done yesterday and going to start filling it today with all my winter killed hoophouse pots; and this spring I found in my recycle row of garbage cans one labeled for glass completely full of potting mix. :laughing:

Dax

27 Likes

Fantastic work Dax!

1 Like

well done sir! i love raised beds! not only are they easier on my back, but you control what the soil is. no fighting to fix my rocky, clay soil. just plant on top of it!

2 Likes

I had carpal tunnel surgery many years ago, it was a great relief. I did both hands at the same time and it was surely a challenge to go through daily routines. I would not recommend doing both at same time. Good luck 2morrow @Barkslip.

3 Likes

Beautiful, will last forever!

1 Like

Have a speedy recovery Dax. Sending prayers.

2 Likes

HomeDepot has Blocks for Raised beds. I filled the center with stones to about 12" and put down a piece of screen to make flat area. I use grow bags instead of filling the area with soil. I will likely remove and rebuilt the whole thing next year so not having to dig out the soil will be relief.

3 Likes

I like how it projects out from the hillside.

I like levels including string line levels. Thanks, Andy.

@lordkiwi grow bags are pretty interesting the way you’ve decided to use them. Nice job. Nice fountain.

I shot a couple more for my own amusement. I spent about 8.5 hours today shaking the media off of my potted plants that perished thru this winter. It’s I’m going to say 80% plus Promix. Each time I had 5-6" of new media I got inside and walked and compressed it to be as dense as humanely possible.

Dax

4 Likes

Thats what we used, and built them up to 3ft. high. We filled them with barnyard dirt, rotating eacg season. I also plant marigolds around the outside edge, as deer hate their smell. only lost 2 corn sprouts to them.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but what the hey. This was built over top of an area that used to be an above ground pool, with a sandy bottom. When building on grass I put down cardboard or newspaper, then compost and wood chips. The smallest bed was made using deconstructed pallets to save money but it took forever to pull the pallets apart without breaking the boards. It wasn’t worth the work. Everything else is pressure treated lumber filled with municipal compost from peoples fall leaves. It’s free, we just have to put in the work to shovel and move it. This took a few pickup truck load fulls. When the wood eventually rots I’ll just leave it as mounded compost. A few areas that aren’t wood raised beds I lined with rock.

And then after the growth explosion…I’m regretting not making my walking paths wider.

And then just for fun, here is my moms neighbors raised bed. Its filled with beans and has been fortified against deer. But the bunny would just hop on top and pull beans right through the netting.

17 Likes

Super cool layout, Katie.

Dax

In other locations in our yard, we stack them just high enough so that people can comfortably sit on them during outdoor parties in our yard. Saves on having to rent lots of chairs. We just power wash them the day before the party.

1 Like

This is an interesting/cheap model for a raised bed I haven’t seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVaFsORKhl8

6 Likes

Looks good, my only concern would be keeping it watered. The wind would wreak havoc on the moisture. JMO.

Really raised beds :slight_smile:

11 Likes

In the comments he claimed to only water once every week or two in 100 degree weather. I imagine five inches of wood chips on the sides is just as effective as five inches would be on top. I might try one of these beds this summer since I don’t have a permanent area laid out yet

3 Likes