Letting trifoliate citrus rootstock grow a branch?

Is there any reason not to let this rootstock shoot grow out and fruit? I’d like to have a source of seeds for rootstock purposes, but not if there would be any problem for the grafted variety (Pixie, the only tree my wife has specifically requested in the greenhouse).

2 Likes

Let it grow about 6 inches and nip it in the top bud. After it hardens off you can remove it and root it in potting soil in a small cup. PT roots well.

3 Likes

I was thinking it would grow faster and fruit sooner if it stays on the tree. Is there any reason not to keep a lower branch that’s from the rootstock? Will it cause the grafted variety to grow poorly, or will it grow poorly itself as a lower branch?

1 Like

The trifoliate rootstock will cause the fruiting part to die in a few years. Your rootstock is from seed and will need to grow to about 8 feet tall before it will set fruit.

1 Like

That’s a shame. For my avocados, I like to let the rootstock grow along with the grafted variety, and as long as I’m good about keeping them pruned evenly it doesn’t seem they have a tendency to abort/self-prune the graft when you do that. Sad to hear citrus/poncirus are different in that regard.

Thanks!

I would remove the shoot from the rootstock.
Seeds / seedlings of trifoliate are easy to come by.
You really don’t want that rootsprout to grow to a size where it will fruit .

2 Likes