Lime sulfur

Just a quick rant. Does anyone else feel it makes zero sense that, aside from a couple of oddball sources, lime sulfur is no longer available for a home gardener/orchardist, because apparently it’s “too dangerous“.

Yet can still buy it (in a higher concentration!) to put on your dog???

3 Likes

I just bought a commercial size container. Somebody who makes the dog stuff said it was the same concentration. Although that didn’t make sense to me? It appeared to be stronger.
Apparently the people who use it to kill themselves didn’t realize it is still available. I suppose if the trend continues they will remove the dog stuff too.

1 Like

I’m trying not to get too political, but I wonder if it comes down to the fact that the general “Karen“ public cares a lot more about dogs than they do about gardeners.

It’s mostly emotional, versus scientific.

Example: OMG THOSE CHEMICALS ARE SCARY, BAN THEM!

Then: Oh no, not my poor dog! Let us keep it for the dogs!

(I love dogs but I think that’s the mindset).

2 Likes

I always thought it was to stop the trend of suicides. Ok I looked it up and the EPA say it’s permanent eye damage as to why it was pulled. They mentioned it was not the suicides.

2 Likes

Well I can see that, no pun intended.

Yet couldn’t the same thing happen when you put it on your dog?

2 Likes

Yes. It is strange and makes little sense.

2 Likes

Drew, good to know. I will wear eye protection next time I spray Lime Sulphur. I bought some in crystal form, and used this spring as dormant spray on plum and peach.

2 Likes