Lions mane

We are providing stud service and the breeder asked for genetic testing. Looking for this one bad gene Aussies and other herding dogs can get. My dog is an Australian Shepherd. They have DNA testing for dogs now! He came back negative for the gene MDR-1. So all is a go so far. My dog came from the west side of the state about 200 miles away. He is AKC registered. His formal name is “Drew’s Jesse of Russell Isle”

He was so cure as a puppy.

2 Likes

nice looking boy!

Yeah…a lot of these things can make you sick. For how wet it has been here i really haven’t seen that much in the way of shrooms in my yard. Must need more wood chips.

1 Like

it hasn’t been too wet here but since i spread a new layer of mulch around everything, the shrooms are out big time! some I’ve never seen before. 1 I’m sure is a parasol. smelled like maple syrup. lots of big wine caps! collected some to make stuffed mushrooms. when you bring in wood chips, you don’t know what mycelium is mixed in there. 2 yrs. ago i had oysters coming out of the bottom of a older pile of wood chips.

I pulled some old wine caps out of their bed and they still had nice mycelium “roots” so I buried a few in a new bed. This is what the spreading mycelium looks like after a few days:

2 Likes

I have a hazelnut stump that I left when I cut back the trees 2 years ago which looks like your mycellium in that picture above.

I wonder what kind of mushroom will sprout from it in time…

Anyone know what kind(s) of fungi like hazelnut stumps?

(I’m just hoping I don’t end up with dog-vomit slime mold…)

Scott

2 Likes

hard to tell until it fruits. lots of fungi can grow on hazels.

I was biking the trails today and saw a huge amount of some type of tan mushrooms growing on a half submerged tree in the marsh. There must have been 50lbs of shrooms (maybe more…it was about 20 yards off the trail) …but i’d need a kayak or maybe hip boots to get out there …maybe tomorrow i’ll go investigate. Not sure if it would be something edible or not…maybe chicken of the woods… a wooded swampy area.

1 Like

pictures or it didn’t happen

1 Like

Chicken of the woods is usually orange. Hen of the woods is brown. Both are primarily a late summer/early fall mushroom here. I did see some chicken of the woods this spring, though.
Chicken:

Hen:

4 Likes

When i’m biking i don’t stop for anything (i’m really fast). If i get back there i’ll try but i’m not falling into marsh water while out on a bike ride to get you a picture. I’ll give you a map if you want to check it out? :slight_smile:

If anything it was chicken.

1 Like

Just went through some of my old images…here is what i came up with…

Oct 29, 2004 (have no idea…came across them while hiking)

April 23, 2005 (morels)

May 20, 2005 (i was out catching smallmouth while i spotted a tree full of them)

The time gap is because i had 3 children not long after these photos and my life changed forever (even got rid of my boat :frowning: )

OK so i made it back this evening to where i spotted that clump. Probably more like 10 pounds. Closest i could get without swimming and the mosquitoes were out of this world bad.

2 Likes

Is that a white pored chicken? On Oak? They are the best IMO.

Yes (I think) and yes. I don’t spore print them because they are so easy to identify, but I think all of the chickens print white. I like them better than morels but not as much as hen. Here is the progression of a chicken on one of my oaks:

(upload://A4SSCpJxtidJhGvQE1WzrlYJv9Q.jpeg)

9 Likes

It is a different species than the sulphur shelf chicken of the woods shown above. The sulphur shelfs have a yellow pore surface and grow out of trunks, can be on many species of trees. The white pored species is much more rare around here, always from the base of trees, they don’t get tough nearly as fast as sulphur shelfs do. That is a beauty!

2 Likes

The first picture looks like oyster mushrooms. Very yummy if so!

1 Like

After some research it looks like I have L. Cincinnatus chicken of the woods. Supposedly more rare, delicious, tender, and grows as a floret from the ground near oaks. This is the only kind I find around here and it’s not very rare. The common variety grows directly on wood. Any growing on conifers cannot be eaten. If you can’t identify the tree, it’s a no-go.

2 Likes

One of those have been growing out of the base of my parents two American black cherry tree for years since I mulched with hardwood chips. I didn’t know it at the time. Sadly it never reoccurs with much size these days and I moved out so I’m not around to spot it.

1 Like

So I have a huge pile of chips from chipdrop. Complaining neighbors whose grass I’m temporarily killing. And a hankering to plant some Wine Cap mushrooms. I orders some liquid culture from Ebay, a spawn kit from EverthingMushroom.com and a 4 pack of random liquid culture old stock.

What I got was a little diffrent. The spawn bag looks great.

The 4 pack turned into a 10 pack. Diffrent oyster mushrooms and 2 more Wine cap spawn.

So armed with my new induction compatible pressure cooker. I dump a bunch of chips and water in, set it on max and turning it down to 250 degrees to hold it at 15psi. I did two batches to fill this storage crate.

I will add some spawn in the morning. I am not worried about losing sterility as winecaps are very aggressive and didn’t need a sterile medium in the first place. hopefully I will expand the spawn and spread it to the whole pile.

3 Likes

Are the trees close enough to fall on the house? It could have been growing on dead wood, but they can also kill trees.

1 Like