List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

The one at Clifford’s house is a hybrid he said as is the one at the farm. Same fruit on both.

It was an easy error I’m sure. He said to me , ‘no man they’re both hybrids with Large fruit’.

Cliff is a “no or yes man.” His catalogue may say Kaki on the at home row but it was a written-error.

Whew! I’m glad that’s cleared up!

Now is there any chance Cliff made the same mistake with Hokkaido?

“Written error” still remains the most likely explanation for Cliff’s 40+ Hokkaido x DV “hybrids.”

I had ‘Hokkaido’ from Cliff when he first offered it - maybe 20 years ago. I THINK he said it was the cold hardiest pure kaki he had. It didn’t make it through it’s first KS winter.

1 Like

“Sovietski” occurs in this updated list

TREES and Scion wood List 2022 DEC Farms 1, 2 and 3 UPDATE.pdf (684.9 KB)

on page 16, Home Farm Row 3:

1. Sovietski Kaki persimmon 2015

and on page 1, Farm #3 Row 1:

1. Sovietski hybrid FEMALE 2015

I don’t know whether they are from the same scionwood or even the same supplier.

England’s has been a USDA registered nursery for decades. I don’t know if they were receiving persimmon material directly from the Ukrainian research institutions. Certainly they are eligible.

2 Likes

According to the labels, Cliff produced the reported hybrids roughly 10 years ago. “Hokkaido” was the presumed male parent, so technically I should have written DV x Hokkaido. We have no way of knowing whether your 20-year old Hokkaido and Cliff’s 10-year old Hokkaido are the same variety.

I’d be interested to know who else has Hokkaido other than you, Cliff and Bass.

Here’s a link to our updated list in Google Sheet format. The link is “live” to the document I edit. It is read-only, but you can use the Google Sheet “File” menu to make an editable copy, print, and download to various formats.

U.S. Hybrid persimmons list

Also, here is a link to the compressed folder containing various references and the software I’ve written with Mathematica® to generate the parent-sibling diagram:

Hybrid persimmons in U.S. circulation.zip

I am willing to consider requests for updates to either of the above or the diagram below as time permits. PM is recommended.

4 Likes

I’ve been sent paperwork from Cliff a couple of time with a path toward USDA-ship I guess. They’ll pay for breeding research; like all of it.

cliff (for the record and i’m about out of fuel) told me verbatim my sovietski at my house is definitely a hybrid. my other Sovietski at the farm is the QUOTE from cliff, “same thing.” He went further to say they are both hybrids probably to get me off the phone.

2 Likes

<< 2021 winter cold blast of -20°f at night for a week killed most of my hybrid persimmon seedlings and advanced pawpaw seedlings. Yet 5 year old ‘Kasandra’, ‘Zima Khurma’ and ‘Mikkusa’ were unscathed.>>

1 Like

I don’t know where you found this information.
Pamjat passemkova is an F2, if it was a Rosseyanka mutation he would be an F1.
He can’t be a superosijanka seedling either.

Superosijanka is probably just Rosseyanka. Would be an earlier and larger Rosseyanka mutation. The person who got it in Ukraine died in an accident. The variety was unveiled much later than Pamjat passemkova. So sowing impossible.
Since then, all the people who have this variety don’t talk about it anymore… if it’s unknown, not distributed, there’s a problem. To be certain I will put a Rosseyanka and a superosijnka next to each other…

2 Likes

Richard, thanks for putting this together. It’s a beautiful representation of prodigy; Mathematica® is the perfect name to represent what is currently unknown, Diospyros.

I hope your software is distributed like scions are. :+1: (you know what I mean)

1 Like

I misled you with my initial wording. The software I wrote is free, but it requires the Mathematica® programming environment.

1 Like

Wow, sooooo cooool! Go Richard. Keep on moving! Wow, you are Good for the world’s environment if you will.

Best wishes, as always to you. “fer” sure, :wink: DAX :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Richard,

If this were true:

(J-PCNA x J-PVNA) x J-PCNA = 23% J-PCNA

what happens if Hybrid-PVNA ‘Kujinaja’ is substituted. Let’s play the game. Let’s do assume…

Thanks

Dax

Don’t get caught up in China vs. Japan politics. Drop the "J-"s and "C-"s.

1 Like

One problem is that we don’t know the underlying genetics of Kujinaja. With a hexaploid genome, you just about have to make test crosses to figure out what is going on behind the gene curtain.

1 Like

@Barkslip
Darrell makes a good point here.

For individuals, this kind of equation works:

cultivar #1: (50% PCNA, 50% PVNA)
cultivar #2: (90% PCNA, 10% PVNA)
1 x 2: (70% PCNA, 30% PVNA) [approximately]

But knowing the percentages for Kuji Naja is difficult. This is why commercial breeders plan for several generations of reinforcement and culling.

There are different kinds of strategies depending upon what kind of trait is desired.

Does it make any difference if (Lab j-PVNA x Lab j-PCNA) x Lab j-PCNA is my question?

Nishimura Wase was selected in a trial and they hybridized with lesser known “wild” Lab j-PCNA and then to Lab J-PCNA again. I had to recheck my notes.

There was like 141 trees created and the rate of Lab j-PCNA was 23% after (non-astringent) trees.

Yea, I expected problems within the “hexaploid” situation and expected a tongue-lashing about it. \

I’m going back to bed.

At least I know my equation is correct so I can sleep.

1 Like

If “Lab j-PVNA” and “Lab j-PCNA” are plants then each needs to be replaced by a pair of percentages.

For example:

Lab j-PVNA = (a% PVNA, b% PCNA)
Lab j-PCNA = (c% PVNA, d% PCNA)

Lab j-PVNA x Lab j-PCNA =
((a+c)/2 % PVNA, (b+d)/2 % PCNA) [approximately]

But we don’t know the values of a, b, c, d, x, and y for any persimmons.

In particular, Kuji Naja ≠ (100% PVNA, 0% PCNA).

1 Like

The point is not different politics but different genetics, producing different mechanisms for producing non-astringency.

2 Likes

Sheesh.

1. J-PCNA and PVNA are different traits. So the sum is not 100%

The right way to think about it is that J-PCNA is 0% AST (astringent), 100% ast (non-astringent). All 6 of 6 alleles are non-astringent. We know from breeding research that 6 of 6 ast alleles are required. The J-PCNA trait is all or none.

Meanwhile, PV is separate and cumulative. For a variety that is not PCNA, it appears that (a) no PV alleles results in a PCA phenotype, (b) some PV alleles results in a PVA phenotype, and (c) most or all PV alleles results in a PVNA phenotype. This is very approximate but for sake of illustration we might assume 0-1 (0-17%) PV alleles implies PCA, 2-4 (33-66%) PV alleles implies PVA, and 5-6 (83-100%) PV alleles implies PVNA.

Some PCNAs such as Fuyu also display PV – remember it’s a separate trait! – so a Fuyu can have browning flesh if seeded. Of course, Fuyu produces small amounts of tannin so the browning is minor. Thus Fuyu is BOTH PCNA and PV.

1. As you’d expect from the above, PCNA x PCNA always produces PCNA offspring. In contrast, PCNA x PCA rarely produces PCNA, presumably only if the PCA variety is hiding three PCNA alleles. But you can get PCNA at something like 15% in the F2 generation by (a) crossing PCNA x PCA, and then (b) back-crossing PCNA x the F1 offspring.

2. As you’d expect from the above, PCNA x PVNA produces neither PCNA nor PVNA! Rather, the result of PCNA x PVNA is PVA. Why? The PVNA will not supply three ast (non-astringent) alleles, so the offspring will never have a full complement off 6 non-astringent alleles – so no PCNA. And the PCNA will not supply many, if any, PV alleles, so the offspring will never have enough PV alleles to achieve full PVNA. In this cross, the PV gets diluted, resulting in a PVA.

I’m not guessing at this. It is a demonstrated and published.result of breeding experiments.

1. Kuji Naja is an interesting case. If the reported ancestry is correct – including the parent Costata, which is PCA – then it would seem almost impossible for Kuji Naja to achieve full PVNA. But there is a chance that the cross managed to pull together 2-3 PVA alleles from parents that never displayed the PV trait, producing a PVA offspring. This seems consistent with the reports, which seems to say that Kuji Naja shows some apparent PV late in the ripening process. It’s also consistent with the report that it’s sibling is PCA.
2 Likes