LITTLE greenhouse

A picture said it all

6 Likes

Currently at Aldi $30.

4 Likes

theres lots of innovative small greenhouse ideas on pot growing websites.

3 Likes

Here’s a makeshift mini-greenhouse (or mega-cloche?) I made in February to protect an inadvisable attempt to regraft an avocado that had been killed to ground level by a freeze in December:

I called it my “light tube” and a temperature probe showed it holding about 4° above ambient. The graft failed, but the tree did regrow from the roots nicely. I only put that thing on it for a few nights when we had a hard freeze.

3 Likes

I also use these light buckets inside

I need to find some clear 5 gallon size buckets for some things so the sun works during the day and I can pile leaves (or snow) as insulation at night. My neighbors are going to think I’m a hoarder if they don’t already…

1 Like

Also a useful tidbit - a 5 gallon bucket fits OVER a 10" pipe and INSIDE a 12" pipe.

Much cheaper than a cap for plugging pipes temporarily at my job but good for taller “greenhouses” like this for trees or larger bushes.

1 Like

I have a couple of these (with lids) that I got from a homebrewing buddy who was giving up that hobby, he used them to store grain:

I use one of them as a compost bucket, and the other as a cloche in the garden. It’s hard to justify the retail price for either of those uses, though, when regular used buckets are often easy to find for free.

3 Likes

Translucent bucket rot in sunlight very quickly. White last a little longer and black for many years.

2 Likes

Fukushu kumquat out grows light bucket
Lighting setup using a trash can fitted with a CFL and an assortment of light hanging from a burnt out 4 foot light fixture

Building inspector checking greenhouse framing for structural needs.

3 Likes

7 Likes

The one I linked is made out of an unusually sturdy material for a translucent bucket, I’ve seen no sign of becoming brittle or anything in 3 years of regular outdoor use. It’s become slightly more opaque, but not a lot.

1 Like

All my outlets are Properly grounded and are plugged into a GFCI. My clamp lights are UL listed. I unplug and re-plug chords 1 a week to keep electrical contacts secure. Power strips are suspended so they don’t get banged around. and most important I don’t do drugs, since 88% of our fire department call are for drug overdose victims. Last and most important is that all my lights total less than 100 watts. Low power!

2 Likes

its extremely cool you use your space for what you enjoy. you happen to be one of the more fun ones who lives to a full cup. very-enjoyable person who’s humor is often hidden in a big picture kind of way

lets hope nothing blows up!! (ha-ha :laughing:) I ‘know’ you got some nuclear going on there dude dewspite previous attempts’ raising up words, such as :laughing: “solar” or "“wind power”, etc-

you are unique, good job!

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

you bet

1 Like

Could you please put a high low thermometer in there this winter and tell us how much freeze protection you get?

thanks

My bucket cage has a 10F temperature rise. When temperatures drop I add insulation around the bucket for more protection. I do not own a continuous thermometer