Look at the size! Gooseberry

Hey you guys were right, I ordered two gooseberry plants from edible landscape and these things are huge and very happy with the packaging and the health of these two bushes. Thanks

11 Likes

Good luck. They send good plants, but I hope you are in a northern zone. Gooseberries don’t tolerate heat and humidity well.

What size pots are those?

Yes, I’m in the Boston area. And this was the 3 gallon bush. What is the recommended spacing for gooseberries?

Hello from a fellow Boston-area grower. What kinds did you get?

1 Like

I’m testing them in zone 7b (maryland). I head as long as they get afternoon shade they should be good. I’ll let you know.

I ordered a Glenndale from Edible landscaping that will be in next week. I got 8 varieties from Honeyberry usa that were quite nice but definitely dormant. they are just starting to leaf out now so nowhere near the size of yours. I have a picture in this post.

Same as @Bigmike1116 I am growing several gooseberries and currants in Eastern PA 7a where our summer highs average around 87°F sometimes getting in the low 90’s.

Growth definitely stalls mid-summer and the leaves start cupping from the heat but for the most part there’s pretty much no problem and production is very good. Granted, I do have them planted under the shade of other trees where they are partially shaded during the hottest part of the day and I also mulch them heavily.

1 Like

I have a Hinnomaki Red bearing for first time… a plant last year from Burnt Ridge…been checking it daily to see if any evidence they might be ripening already!

@SMC_zone6 thank you. I picked up black velvet, I purchased late in the season and this was their best variety

1 Like

Hey @Johnl, Edible Landscaping is not too far from me. I have done sweat equity work there in trade for plant dollars which I really enjoyed. A good place!

2 Likes

That’s a good one. If it works out for you and you’re looking to add more varieties in the future, let me know. I’d be happy to send some dormant cuttings for you to root. They do really well in our area.

1 Like

Mine take about 5-6 feet, but if you want to be able to go around them, I would do 8, this is not the plant you can squeeze by. :laughing: , unless you making a hedge.

1 Like

You should be ok. I’m in Richmond, and not only does the growth stall for most of the summer here they do their very best to defoliate for most of July & August here. But I see max temps in the upper 90s for weeks at a time.

I’m going to try a sunshade for the potted ones this time and do better with timed watering, but there isn’t much I can do for the ones I planted in-ground. I started with something like 16 currants & gooseberries in-ground. I’ve got 5 left after about 4 years. I also fight red clay soil too, so they don’t spread roots that well either.

The fruit can be really nice, and I imagine in a better climate they are low care.

1 Like

@SMC_zone6 thank you pal, that’s very kind offer. I will keep you posted and best wishes

1 Like

This fall poke some 8-10 inch cuttings into the ground about halfway or more, and in a year or two you will have new bushes with no effort but weeding. I just transplanted 14 bushes of various gooseberries and currants today that were started that way a couple years ago. I still have a half dozen more to move. There is no need to order more than one bush of any variety, I have learned.
[/quote]

2 Likes

I just got my fist order from edible landscaping today, and yes, the plants were amazingly large. the hard growth of the gooseberry I received was roughly the same size as the larger ones I received from Honeyberry usa but because the honeyberry usa gooseberries were dormant bare root and the edible landscaping gooseberry was potted and had tons of new growth, it is easily double the size. I even found a small gooseberry under the foliage. edible landscaping

2 Likes

What are all the other ones?

besides the glenndale gooseberry I received 2 prime ark freedom blackberries and 6 Ohio’s Treasure Primocane fruiting black raspberries. the black raspberries didn’t fare as well in shipping. each one was left with one stem except for one of the plants that only has 1/4 inch of stem left with no leaves. I’ll still plant it in hopes I get more shoots.

Blackberries and raspberries will be fine. They only need the roots.

1 Like