Looking for a big fat sweet fig

I’m finally caving in to one more fruit tree, no surprise there. It is ‘figland’ here. I am looking for a very plump french fig. On the hunt tomorrow!

6 Likes

Man so many great figs. I would look for any Col de Dame figs. They are some of the best figs you could get. Any of them.
A very famous collection in France

I’m growing a couple from this collection. As many have reached our shores that can only be found at this famous fig orchard.

Drew

5 Likes

Thanks so much Drew !

2 Likes

Have you tried any French figs before? It sounds like you can grow just about any variety that pleases you in your climate.

2 Likes

La belle Violette de Sollies est un delice là bas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpdlv78845U

That one should certainly be on your list.

5 Likes

It is as is Col Dame Noir from Drew51

3 Likes

I think @aap likes Violette de Sollies. I have Noire de Barbentane which is similar but supposed to ripen a couple weeks earlier than VdS. It was very good last year. The pulp texture was similar to a Col de Dame but with a tougher skin. I have Col de Dame Gris and it’s heavenly.

3 Likes

Yes very good, all the French figs are decent, just like any other fruit. France has amazing fruit. Very few are mediocre, most are top shelf stuff.
Look for these and a few others are out there too. This is what I have.
Col de Dame Blanc (baud)
Col de Dame Blanca/Negra - npolaske
Col de Dame Ciutat - Plant - Creator
Col de Dame Gris willys-a-gas
Col de Dame Noir (Prusch) - Dis
Col de Dame Roja - npolaske

Get Gris, Blanc or Noir to appreciate this line of figs.

6 Likes

Hey Drew you’re missing the Gegatina In your collection of col de dame’s ! I heard is really good as well.

Also Col de Dame Mutante

1 Like

You’re right! I forgot about that one! That must be a good one to have, I have seen a lots of people acquiring this one.

1 Like

They are late ripening. And I don’t get many. So I have no plans to add more.

1 Like

Andrew, got this picture from last summer. might be big enough for this guy.

7 Likes

Violette de Sollies are truly gigantic. I was in Paris with my family one week after watching this video, and I stumbled upon a fresh fruit market. And what do I see in front of me: cases of these ginormous figs. Needless to say the became my lunch. Delish!!!

2 Likes

I agree with @Drew51and others, the CDD figs are great, my favorites are CDD Blanc, Gris, and Roja. Also, the Violette de Sollories is even bigger, with great taste! All truly great figs!

3 Likes

Thank you all, will go to the nursery this weekend. Had to get more pots and soil yesterday.

2 Likes

Never have grown them are they all self fertile?

Most should be. Here’s a good selection.
www.fig-baud.com/figuiers.html

1 Like

The common fig yes, all we mentioned are common. You should find out if the fig wasp is in your area. Here it is only in California. So I can only grow common figs.
Also they need to be dead ripe, almost look like they are rotting. Cracked, wrinkled etc like this. If picked earlier they are not very good at all (store bought). They will not ripen more once picked.

2 Likes

Thanks Drew those look mighty tasty. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like