Looking for ideas for a plant to create shade

Couple years ago we removed large locust tree that was seeding and suckering as crazy all over my garden. The problem is that the tree was also creating shade for my hosta bed. Now the hostas do not look as happy as they were before. The bed is going from north-west to south-east, with house on the south-west side. The idea is to plant something tall on the south-east end of the bed to cover it from late morning and early afternoon sun. That “something” should quickly grow to be tall enough (like 8’), but manageable to keep it about 4’ wide, and also it has to be flat, as I do not have much space there. I think tall clematis on trellis would most likely do the job, but I would prefer something edible. The spot there gets sun from sunrise till about 2-3 PM.
Any ideas?

1 Like

Not edible, but Redbud (Cercis canadensis), it a handsome small tree. I have the Rising Sun cultivar, but am not a big fan of that particular cultivar. Seedling and other cultivars are better. The only redeeming thing about this cultivar is its colored new foliage. Its growth habit for me edges on willowy, it has light pink flowers that don’t stand out like the fuchsia flowers of the species, and its flowers get fried by frosts/erratic spring weather more so than other redbuds here. I however love the species otherwise.

Paw paw would fit the bill in size and edibility, but not fast growth.

Otherwise some selection of crabapple comes to mind, possibly on M9 size roots.

1 Like

Driving around Worcester, the city has planted street trees that I find interesting. They look like maple ( from the leave shape) but they grow straight up like arborvitae. Not branching out to interefere with utility wires. If you call the park and rec dept, they may be able to tell you what tree those are. Don’t know if they fast growing or not.

I had Redbud trees, beautiful small trees, fast growing, but spreading. Both died of verticilium wilt which this species is susceptible to. They were planted in a different part of the yard and died of the same disease a couple of years apart.

1 Like

Bamboo is an edible invasive weed that fits your criteria, but will be a maintenance issue to keep in place.

1 Like

If the area is partial shade already, a clump bamboo would be a good option. It does not run. It does not like a sunny area.

Running bamboo needs a sunny spot. It would be hard to contain even if you try to guard agianst it running. I have running bamboo for 7-8 years now. It has ability to escape containment.

1 Like

Pears are fast-growing, more upright and could handle pruning to keep it to your desired shape. Japanese plum? Maybe a peach would get enough sun and the NE exposure may delay blooming in spring?

1 Like

Thanks all, but trees a way to big for the area, it has a space for trellis, that’s all I can fit there. Bamboo sounds nice, but scary, it will spread. Looks like I have to stick with clematis.

1 Like

Pear is an interesting choice, but will it grow at just half day of sun and are there self pollinated ones? I have no spot for second one. And one more question, will hostas right near the trunk be an issue? Hostas spead leaves wider then roots, so in order not to loose any hostas I have to plant like 1.5’ from the tree… And hostas need to be divided once in 2-3 years, otherwise they will overgrow the spot and digging near
tree roots can be a problem. But having a pear kind of occupied my mind. I am now afraid for my hostas collection. :grin:

1 Like

Good questions. Std Pears can grow 20-25’ in 6-10 years here so it may reach full sun if your house is only 1 story. Then again, maybe it will cause too much shade elsewhere in your yard if its that tall. It makes a denser shade than a locust. I think there are self-fertile pears, but since you don’t have another pear you could multi-graft for pollination, variety and to spread the harvest.

1 Like

yes, standard tree will not work for my yard for sure… and house is tall, so no sun there second half of the day.

If you’re looking for something on a trellis, how about grapes? They’ll create ample shade. Or maybe a climbing rose or two?

But I think grapes are your best bet. They are plenty of varieties that are very low maintenance. Muscadines/scuppernogs come to mind.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I am in zone 5B, most of the grapes off limit here. I do have 3 different kinds already and already was thinking about it… To keep any grape just 3-4 feet wide on a vertical structure is a challenge. I have concord growing on ark, and it doesn’t produce much as i can’t prune the way it will produce well because of the width of the ark. And it wouldn’t be enough sun for most of the grapes to produce there… Sun will be out at 2-3 PM.

1 Like

Hardy Kiwi? Scarlet runner beans?

1 Like

Does kiwi tolerate have day shade? And is there self fertile one? Beans will not work. My scarlet beans now just 5 inches tall, and hosats already suffered from sunburn, I need something that leaf out in spring early enough.

1 Like

I am adding picture to make challenge more visual :grin:
Red frame is where the protection needed.

1 Like

If not hardy kiwi, schizandra or other edible vines (I had one whose name I no longer remember)?

1 Like

schizandra is an interesting choice, I was thinking about it, though it is not really edible, unless you want to increase your heart beat or fight low blood pressure. You have to consume it in very small amount, but it really produce like crazy - we had one in my mom’s garden in Russia

1 Like

Galina,
Not much space to play with. Even that Bud 9 apple will spread its branches. I think your idea of putting up a trellis/ screen and plant clemetis is a good idea. Plant two kind, so they grow continuously and bloom at different times.

2 Likes

yeah, I guess this is what I will do. For clematis it is a perfect space, they live pretty well in just morning sun.

1 Like

4 ft tall, two panel together. Not tall enough.

1 Like