Looking to get into aquaponics on the cheap?

This is an inexpensive way to get into aquaponics and to recycle

2 Likes

Plastic bottles last about a half year in the sun.

2 Likes

@poncirusguy

Thats ok you can’t beat the price. Can always recycle the bottles later. Have some gatorade bottles going on years outside.

2 Likes

I tried a very small scale version of aquaponics about 10 years ago and was presented with a host of dilemmas!

My plan was to pump water every hour from a 1000 gallon in-ground pond filled with goldfish ( too cold here for carp) into a raised 100 gallon grow bed filled with pumice rock. Water would drain back naturally into pond after filling.

I monitored the pH of the pond and noticed that the pH changed dramatically from spring to summer. What started as pH 7 in spring became pH 9 as the summer progressed with little rain. I guessed that the change was fine for goldfish but I worried about it for plant growth.

To lower pH I added a CO2 generator midline to lower incoming water’s pH. I had it hooked to a regulator to turn on when water’s pH reached a certain level. Gaaa! Now things were becoming expensive!

In the summer I was going through a 5 gal tank of CO2 every 2 weeks! After 2 years I dismantled it all.

The lettuce, spinach and chard plants all grew huge but system definitely needed some reworking!

2 Likes

@cdamarjian

Try growing passive in an inexpensive pond and then you dont have to pump the water.

Here, the pH of standing water, even in a bucket, increases gradually gradually over time. Probably a function of my water’s chemistry. What starts as pH 7.2 will become pH 9 in a week’s time. I’d be interested to know if that does not happen everywhere.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that is from off gassing. Your tap water might contain dissolved CO2, which lowers pH, but it will slowly escape over time allowing pH to rise.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s right! So not the norm for others.

1 Like

Not sure how many people are raising fish or vegetables like this.

1 Like

I found my way to big beef tomatoes watching this guy on youtube…

He does a lot of aquaponics stuff and has been for several years now.

2 Likes

You might like these threads as well

https://growingfruit.org/t/smart-ideas-practical-use/15121

1 Like