Liquid calcium - big savings for apples , tomatoes, hydroponics, aquaponics

As seen on the greencabby on youtube.com. Use crushed chicken egg shells add to container with white vinegar ensuring the vinegar is 1" above the shells in the container. The mixture should be left to bubble for 24 hrs. The left over sediment should be added to compost and the liquid drained off and screened. The liquid is liqufied calcium. When applying the mix use 1 part liquid calcium to 10 parts water as a fertilizer. This is used in hydroponics etc.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone tried this recently.

I haven’t tried this. However - putting the egg shells in the garden is something I do and it definitely seems to help.

I’d be curious about the availability of the calcium after exposure to the vinegar. We use limestone at work to neutralize acid mine drainage.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. One question: I assume that the egg shells are not cleaned, so what happens to the nitrogen from the leftover egg whites?

1 Like

I freeze milk that goes bad or i dont finish it and spray it on things in late spring. Lots of talk in the old days about spraying milk on things… nobody talks about it anymore… except the permaculture orchard…he sprays whey instead of chemicals as a foliar spray that eats bacterias etc.

For eggshells i spread all of mine from saving for a whole year in my 10X10 flower bed in the Fall and rake in some leaves and manure… by spring they are mostly all gone and dissolved. I then rake that top layer and spread it as compost on tomatoes and other garden stuff.

Not sure if what i do is correct…but thats what i do… instead of throwing it away it gets used.

2 Likes

@krismoriah

My great grandmother on my mothers side never used any fresh milk. She would wait until it was bad to consume it. She was afraid of drinking fresh milk but we do not know if thst is legitimate fear or not. She thought it would make her sick to drink fresh milk. Now oddly fermenting foods like she believed in is regaining ground. In my family they would caution me about certain things and fresh milk was one of them. My mother always used all milk. If the milk was sour it was used in cooking things like pancakes. To this day i consume milk products like sour cream or yogurt months past the expiration date. Im not sure if that makes other people sick or not but in my fsmily we always did consume older milk products. Im assuming those are European beliefs because they made cheese and other things. My mother made a cheese they simply called farmer cheese in my childhood. The cheese was made from soured milk which was clabbered intentionally then squeezed and hung in a tree in cloth where it dripped for days before it was consumed.

Not many people care to know about buttermilk.

Cultured Buttermilk is made by introducing live bacteria… Its what gives it that sharp taste that you either love or hate. Those bacteria are good for folks that are lactose intolerant and good for gut health.

I love the taste of it.

Other countries use it as a foliar spray… but we have chemicals here in the USA so no need to think about it. Continents like India dont eat cows but have alot of milk… and need to grow things to feed thier billions of people.

1. Buttermilk is an effective organic fungicide that prevents plants from fungal diseases like powdery mildew, yellow rust, and white rust.

2. Buttermilk is a rich source of calcium, nitrogen, and phosphorus. It provides essential nutrients and stimulates better growth.

3. Blossom end rot is common in vegetable plants like squash, tomatoes, and peppers, which is caused by a deficiency of calcium. Buttermilk spray is a great way to enrich plants with calcium and other nutrients.

4. It acts as a nutritious feed and helps produce profound blooms, bigger-sized vegetables, and fruits. This spray does wonder especially for rose and curry leaf plants.

1 Like