Looks like big year for Fire Blight in my area

Could be the worst FB year I have seen in 8 years if the computer models are correct. During about 30 days of bloom the models called for an infection for more than 20 days. Many multiple rain days during the infection events, so often I could not spray Strep before the predicted infection or during it. Also several day of wind gust of 40-60 MPH, so FB from trauma is a possibility too.

I sprayed when I could so this should be a good year to test the accuracy of the Maryblyt model fed from data from my local airport.

If the model is accurate, I’m going to have some big FB problems.

1 Like

I only have one tree that’s getting hit, and it’s because my neighbor’s
Bradford pear which is very close, is infected, and he won’t do anything about it. I’m not spraying, but a daily pruning of the strikes seems to be working. My other pears are FB free.

My neighbor has a bunch of Bradford Pears too. Lousy tree that just causes problems.

I’m a little north of you so it’s too soon for me to see the effects of the blight but I’m expecting it.

I’m not going to remove any FB this year and let nature takes it’s course if the many Streptomycin applications failed to manage the problem.

In Kansas fireblight quickly kills a tree to the ground so infections cannot be ignored without serious consequences.

2 Likes

I have not observed fireblight at my place in several years…but I did notice it at a local garden center that sells apple trees. (I have 60+ grafted apples in pots from 2018 and 70 more this year…just counting the ones that have taken for sure.)

Same here.

If the 7 strep applications I applied this year according the gold standard model for fireblight prediction plus Apogee applied to control shoot blight don’t control FB then the Apple trees just need to die!

3 Likes

Years ago I top worked some bartlett seedlings that were frequently infected which was highly effective. They have pears on them now. The roots can be useful! I just added fireblight resistant scions.

2 Likes

You never know what rootsock your getting when you buy apple trees from the big box store. A few years back I bought a nice size tree that was discounted to be grafted over to Goldrush. The tree has been successfully changed over and is the size I wanted. Today I looked down at the base where three suckers had come up. All three had bent over in the traditional hook that frightens us. All three popped loose at the root and I’m hoping I got them out in time to save the tree. Most of my apple trees are on M111 and they have suckers but none at least as of now have had FB. I have two more of these trees and I will be more vigilant checking for suckers.

1 Like

The easy way to get rid of the suckers is to kick them at ground level with your boot and break them loose when the tree is dormant. In some cases you have to bend down and pull them loose.

I try not to mess with them this time of he year for fear of opening a wound for FB bacteria to enter.

3 Likes

Cut out three strikes on a D’Anjou today. Hopefully that is the last of it this season.

4 Likes

Just noticed a strike on Mishirasu today. Expecting a fair amount of rain this week. Not cool