Looks like I'm going to luck out with manure

Every year I drag about 3 cubic yards of fresh horse manure to my house. My experience has been that this reduces to something closer to 1 cubic yard than 1.5 cubic yards, more than 50% shrinkage. Loading/unloading 3 yards in 3 different trips every year is not a trivial amount of work. I do use about a cubic yard a year.

Well, it looks like this year I lucked out. There is a horse place willing to deliver 10 cubic yards of cured manure for $200. Just considering that cured means twice the amount I would get out of fresh, no effort on my part, this should cover my manure needs for the next 10 years.

10 Likes

My wife would not tolerate a 10 year pile of sh!#.

9 Likes

I say go for it! You would burn more gas making that many trips! Lets you concentrate your efforts on other work!
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the nice thing about horse manure. It doesnā€™t smell much fresh, and after a month it doesnā€™t smell much at all. Being a year~two old is more dirt than manure.

6 Likes

Horse manure is great. Iā€™ve used it several times.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not crazy about it. Low-wattage compared to chicken manure and always lots of weed seeds.

1 Like

I hauled 20 tons of leaf compost from the local city recycling a few years ago. They have a big tumbling and crushing machine that turns leaves into this stuff that looks like snuff.

I have hauled more than 30 tons of horse manure from a local stable that has show horses that are fed hay and feed not grazed. All stable cleanings.

I have hauled more than 50 tons of woodchips.

I think i get more bang for my buck from woodchips as everything i dress does very well. Its free and the chippers want rid of itā€¦ its a burden to them. No real threat of weed or grasses seeds either.

I have my woodchip piles in 3 locations and they are worm magnetsā€¦ within a month the worms make their way from the ground into the pilesā€¦and if i wait long enough they will shrink the pilesā€¦ but then there is the worm castingsā€¦ā€˜black goldā€™. So i think thats a plus. Perhaps that is why my things do so well with woodchipsā€¦ the black gold effect?

I think im done with manureā€¦ at least what ive been using. Maybe there is too much sawdust in mineā€¦

I keep one woodchip pile separate near my orchardā€¦ for my own personal enjoymentā€¦ Its a lizard breeding ground. The bugs and stuff that go in there to live attract lizards and they make nests in itā€¦ i also found some blacksnakes going in and out of it searching for preyā€¦ so its kind of like its own ecosystem for predators and prey. I have noticed a few birds digging around for worms and insects also. Probably too weird for most folks but i enjoy it.

A local place tried to get rid of their manure for free and nobody wanted itā€¦ so another guy took it all to their place and is bagging it in feed sacks and selling itā€¦ and he is thriving. People love to pay for the bags of manure.

I highly doubt that i could sell bags of woodchipsā€¦ the local box stores have thousands of pallets of colored ground stumps for $2 a bag and folks are buying it like hotcakes.

5 Likes

I use wood chips. Mostly because itā€™s readily available. Face it: That has to be the main consideration right?

By mixing in this and that you can easily turn the end product into potting soil, so thatā€™s a plus over say, chicken manure.

Getting it to fire off into aā€hotā€ pile of decomposing stuff would be a challenge if I were organic, which I am not.

They now charge $6 a pickup load at the transfer station and the mountains of it that they used to have are gone. Someone has figured out how to monetize it.

1 Like

Depends where you get it from, garbage-in-garbage-out and all that. My usual haul comes from a horse boarding house and it seems those horses eat extremely well, I never had issues with weeds.

Chicken manure is absolutely awesome if you are mixing, the extra nitrogen helps break down high carbon items. If you are single-item composting horse works a lot better. It is pretty close to ideal from the word go, it is a lot cleaner to work with, and it is not a smelly mess like chicken manure. I can put down a fresh cubic yard pile and the place smells like a regular horse farm, not nessesarily unpleasant. After about a week the smell is gone.

The other bit is that I love it for the volume. Low nitrogen works best for me. My soil usually wins most ā€˜worst soilsā€™ arguments (50% river rocks, 30% river gravel, 20% sand, 0% organic). For trees, I dig gigantic holes where the only thing I can keep is the sand. Well-cured horse compost/sand makes them very happy, topped off every year with more compost and 4 inches of green mulch.

4 Likes

I bought a nice load of mushroom compost from our local coop last springā€¦ main components were horse manure and wheat straw.

Good stuffā€¦ almost all gone now

A couple years agoā€¦ got a nice pile of wood chips from a local county hwy crew clearing brush from the roadsidesā€¦

Again good stuffā€¦ almost all gone now.

Early this spring got a nice load of new chips when my neighbor had his douglas pear trees topped.

This spring all new and existing fruit trees got a layer of mushroom compostā€¦ topped with a layer of old mostly composted wood chipsā€¦ toped with a layer of fresh wood chips.

Took a while. Just finished them a few days ago

2 Likes

In addition to horse manure, I get and use a lot of green mulch. The tree service down the road has a large pile for free. I mulch with it twice a year; early spring and in the fall. In the spring I mix whatever is left over from the previous fall (not much) with fresh compost and top it off with 4 inches of green mulch. By the fall that breaks down so I I top it off with another 4 inches of green mulch. Green composting in-situ promotes a very healthy soil biota.

1 Like

My neighbor has a horse (and she agreed and wants it gone) so I will be doing Berkeley composting with the manure; all those Amazon boxes suddenly become more important (I need browns)

Starting tomorrow and just ordered a reotemp 24ā€

You have to kindly ask when they use dewormer (ivermectin) since that should be treated differently and does their hay have persistent herbicides for thistle (herā€™s doesnā€™t)

1 Like

When I lived in Florida (2015-2021) there were alot of riding stables in our neighborhood.
I knew a guy that had a business hauling clean sawdust to stables and then hauling the soiled sawdust away.
At any point in time, I could call him and he would drop off as many loads as i needed for free.
It was a real nice connection to have. He would drop off 5- 7yrd. loads, i would keep it worked up with the tractor bucket and let it cook for 6 months. Then spread it out on the sandy yard and call him up for another 5 loads.

1 Like

Honestly you donā€™t need to add anything to it, right off the horse it has a very good nitrogen/carbon ratio. For the Berkeley method, you would go in the wrong direction if you add carbon; if anything you would want to add more nitrogen. Specially if the manure comes with bedding with is usually extremely high in carbon.

Horse manure without bedding is around 25:1 nitrogen to carbon ratio. A bid of bedding can put that closer to 20:1. The Berkeley method asks for 25~35:1 ratio.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s one advantage of horse manure: It works straight out of the box, so to speak.

You would be hard pressed to find horse manure out West that doesnā€™t have Bermuda grass in it.

1 Like