Loquat 'Advance' available again? soonish?

I have bought some loquat seeds from 'Adam Karsten. I will buy some scion from him later when my root stocks are ready, a lot of people have bought scion from him and are very happy with their purchases.

1 Like

Which varieties only flower in the spring?

Thank you for your time

No such thing. Some may open flowers late but all buds are set at the end of summer.

1 Like

You’ve crushed my dreams, but it’s for the best.

1 Like

I’ve grown all the varieties that supposedly set flowers in spring. But they all budded out in late summer like everything else.

2 Likes

It depends on what you mean by flower, the thing about Loquats is that they form flower buds at about the same time, a few weeks later than the others at the most. Even though closed flower buds are ofthen way less cold sensitive they are still more cold sensitive than the trees them selves can be, if you have a cold hardy tree. What is good about the ones that open the flowers later, is that the flowers opening can miss the coldest part of the year, and in some cases that can mean having a crop when the earlier opening flower varieties can not, although some later opening flower varieties have cold sensitive flower buds, or less cold resistant open flowers. As far as actual cold hardiness, I am too new at it to give you any advise on that.

From my own experience loquat panicles with closed flowers can survive about 19F. So they do survive some mild winters here but once they start to bloom in the spring, all they need is 25F and they are gone.
This autumn was really bad for loquats cause it was too warm and they started to bloom in October/November. I might never see fruit (maybe once in 10 years) but they make a nice privacy screen and it’s nice to look how green they are when everything else is grey so I appreciate them a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like my peluche loquat soo much that i think it’s difficult to have a better one… :grin:

The numbers I’ve heard are -5c for closed flowers and -3c for open. (23F and 27F)

that’s a Christmas loquat if I remember correctly.

Luis, I have a better varieties than peluche fruit taste. But peluche is the largest loquat fruits I grow. I do have an Italian variety which is very close in size as the peluche but it tastes much better. I took brix reading on peluche last year, it was 10. I didn’t have my brix meter (refractometer) last year until after some varieties were done. The Italian loquat (Imperiale) largest single fruit was 99grams. Largest Peluche for me was 90grams but a friend had one fruit that was 120grams.

1 Like

PM sent…

Don’t give up hope yet. I have most of the cold hardy varieties but I’m growing them here in Southern California so we never have the frost, snow issues. I just collect all that I’m interested in so I added some cold hardy varieties.

Ram is correct as far as I noticed on my loquat trees grafted with:
-Shambala
-Novak (does not have multiple flowering in a year)
-Tanaka
-Christmas (blooms in spring, fruits in VA)
-Angelino/Argelina

These varieties still has flowers bloom around the same time, and fruits ripen here from April-July.

But the good news is, one of my seedling tree (older-7yrs old maybe) which is fruiting good had ripe fruits this year in January. Then I checked on it this week and it has a second round of ripe fruits (looks like main crop) so this year it seems to be having two different times in the year when the fruits are fully ripe.