Loquat Tree Removal - Best Way?

There is a large loquat tree (10 feet tall, 10" diameter trunk) that my neighbor needs to remove. They want to know what is the best way to do it so it doesn’t grown back? Should we cut it down to ground height, drill holes and put round up in it?
This is right next to my yard where I grow organic fruit trees. Want to make sure it doesn’t cause any damage to my trees.

Thank you!

There’s another thread that discusses how to kill stumps. It was stated that Roundup isn’t great at that, there is another herbicide much better suited. I don’t recall off-hand, but I have a volunteer cherry tree at another suburban property that was allowed to get out of hand that got me interested.

I think this contains the active ingredient, Triclopyr: https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Stump-Killer-Applicator-Concentrate/dp/B00XNM535Y/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=stump+killer&qid=1597786492&sr=8-7

1 Like

10” diameter is not that big. “Gardeners” can dig out the stump with a pickaxe. Easier way is to use an electric jackhammer with a spade bit.

The fun way is to tie the stump to a vehicle and drive away! (Don’t do that!)

2 Likes

Wait you said the best way. You need an excavator! :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, I pulled an apricot tree about that size this spring. I was smart and left a 6+ foot tall trunk after cutting the limbs off so it would be easier to get leverage when I went to pull it out.

Got my chain and little Kubota tractor out there, at an awkward angle on the slope, and at the first tug it snapped a few inches above the ground :frowning:

Took me a long time, and made a huge mess trying to work that stump out of the ground with my front loader and toothbar. There are still some gouges out there, but at least I can ride my mower over them.

I’m surprised that as far as I can tell, it hasn’t sent up any root suckers. It was on St. Julian A. The pair of plum trees next to it that I pulled earlier, also on St. Julian, are still suckering. I finally chose two of them that are 8-10 feet apart and put tree tubes on them to protect from the deer and mower. Should be a great head-start for grafting in place.

The cherry tree I need to get out is in the back corner of a small suburban lot, surrounded by a cedar and chain link fence and amidst a big fig tree and grape vines. Even if I managed to chop it out and pull it, the suckers will be growing under the fig canopy and in two neighbors yards. I seldom use herbicide, probably haven’t in over a decade, but seems the best solution there.

2 Likes

Best to use is Remedy. The active ingredient is Triclopyr. There are generic brands that are cheaper. Just use a paint brush to wet the outer rim of the tree within 30 minutes of cutting the stump. Make sure the only active ingredient is Triclopyr. It also comes in Stump buster also, I think. Does a good job.

1 Like

Thank you very much all!
we’ll ask for stump removal and use Triclopyr on what’s left.

LOL :rofl:

That’s a shame. I’d have loved to have that tree, it would make an awesome host for grafting. I had grafted a bunch of akme garden loquat scions last couple of weeks.

If it does have to come out, I’d recommend

An electric pole saw

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Remington-Ranger-II-10-in-8-Amp-Electric-Telescoping-2-in-1-Pole-Saw-Chainsaw-Combo-with-Automatic-Chain-Oiler-RM1035P-Ranger-II/302783824

And a farm jack

Along with a shovel and a water hose, you wouldn’t know that thing existed in a short time.

I had to take down a decent sized acacia in my neighbors yard earlier this season. Farm jack worked wonders with the 8’ root ball that went 6 feet deep.

Here’s the before …

after…

There were 1940s glass bottles that the tree had grown over…dated to right about when the orchard was divvied up into houses.

When you run out of space for trees, the friendly neighbors yard comes in handy… :wink:

2 Likes