Lost and Found - Midwest Weather

Woke up this morning to blowing snow at 5 degrees with 40 mile an hour winds and realized that you guys from the upper midwest accidentally misplaced some of you weather. Well, here it is. Please take it back…
Still blowing hard at noon in the picture below…

12 Likes

They must have had plenty to share with everybody- ours here in Mizzou is much the same as yours, and I’ve had enough too!

2 Likes

So glad you guys share our pain. Enjoy the snow while you still have it👻

2 Likes

It’s bad down here the counties have stopped plowing due to safety, most of the highways are closed.

I thought we were going to skate through with out a winter this year.

3 Likes

ill swap that for what we have anytime! towns ran out of room to put the snow! shoveled the roof 5 times so far this winter w/ about 2ft. on it each time.

1 Like

I thought we were going to skate through as well! Last year was nice.

True that others have it much worse…

1 Like

Thats why we live here! we only get 8 inches of precipitation all year, 6-8" of it snow. (Spokane does have four seasons)

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve heard of roof rakes and shoveling snow off the roof, but never had to do it. Do you worry about busting the shingles loose, walking on them in the cold?

Here if we broke the tar seal on shingles, the normal high KS/MO winds would show no mercy and tear them off the first chance they got.

3 Likes

Same here. Most of the winter has been tolerable, but the last 10-12 days have just gotten progressively worse, worser and more worser.

4 Likes

I’m in Walmart today and these are hanging up for sale.

Can they be used for something else??? In all my whole old life I have never actually seen anyone shoveling snow except pictures, video, etc. We do have snow but it melts so fast there is no need for shovels. Now I hate to bring that up to all you guys at this time with what you’re experiencing north of here but this product is picture worthy where I live. :neutral_face:

Maybe we have your lost snow shovels!

3 Likes

Lol. :smiley: That is a toy snow shovel. It is made out of plastic and doesn’t have a metal bottom edge. It would last two snows. And forget about sleet… :rofl::rofl:

We moved and now have a north-facing driveway. We used to have a west facing driveway with and were on a hill that pitched to the south. It was great. Snow and ice would melt off after about Feb 1 enough that you didn’t have to worry about doing a great job.

The shadow from the house on our new driveway is a real bummer in winter. But it will be great to have a full-sun backyard for orchard 2.0.

I’m enjoying my driveway that slopes downhill to the South. Especially when I look across the street at my neighbor’s that slopes downhill to the North.

My neighbor probably looks at my driveway and thinks the exact same thing.
Luckily this winter so far we didn’t get much snow to speak of.

1 Like

Oh, but it advertises “steel core”!!! :joy::joy::joy:

This is the same Walmart that sells Seedless Thompson Grapes (that quickly succumb to Pierce’s Disease) and Bartlett Pears (that quickly succumb to fireblight) to people so why wouldn’t they try to sell us a useless snow shovel in this part of Texas???

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

We are out building houses in that weather. Friday we sheeted the first floor in 40 mph winds. The joist had a half inch of ice on them, but we got it sheeted. Good thing we weren’t on the roof! I took this photo while on break. There’s another crew working five houses down on the left but the visibility is to poor.

5 Likes

i leave about 4in . on to protect the shingles but even then a roof starts leaking in about 10yrs from the freeze and thaw cycles. many have metal roofs but if you don’t have a steep enough pitch your stuck still getting up there anyway on a very slippery metal roof! there are injuries every year from people doing this. my neighbor broke his back falling off his garage and falling on his snowblower. luckily he wasn’t crippled but can’t tie his own shoes because they fused his spine. i help him with yard work.

2 Likes

Like in-floor heat, a metal roof is something I’ll never not have again.

2 Likes