Lost Apple Searching and a question for the brain trust

I got a scion from TOC last year

1 Like

Well they listed Munson Sweet scionwood for sale this year. I ordered a stick earlier this winter. My Fedco scions arrived today. No Munson Sweet scion in the order. It would have been nice if they’d have let me know in advance so I could look around elsewhere. Oh well…

We were getting a joke out of this yesterday in the shed in the Brushys. One of the old-time apple farmers suggested that anybody that had a kid, wife or dog had named an apple variety for them.

Lee and Edith Calhoun’s notebooks are interesting, pricey too. Perhaps a lot of names were regional and possibly the same apples?

1 Like

My scions from BHCF shipped today.
Grafting starts real soon.

Do any members have the set of Dave Bussey’s tome? I’m seriously considering this addition. That is a very entertaining video visit. It appears not much narrative of book text? I can’t tell from the description of the volumes, heavy on illustrations.

1 Like

I have it, and I’m very happy with it. Many (though not all) descriptions are brief, but the author had a great deal of ground to cover. The sample from Volume 1 on the bottom of the publisher’s home page is a good representation.

1 Like

I certainly use mine often.

2 Likes

Got my order today and it was also missing. I emailed them to ask why but no response yet. I thought maybe they forgot it but sounds like that’s not the case.

Fedco did attach a rebate check to my order printout. I assume they just ran out…

Ok thanks for letting me know. I better go look in the envelope! If you find any in the future please let me know.

1 Like

Thanks members for good book info,

Best!

@smsmith @highdesertheritage

I got a stick last year from fedco and I am fairly certain it took (I did a lot of grafting last a year and only lost a handful). I won’t have wood this year, but check with me next year if you’re still looking.

2 Likes

Thanks Everett.
I got a stick of Munson’s from TOC last year. At least one of my grafts took, but whether it survived this winter is yet to be determined. I had ordered the stick from Fedco just as “insurance”. Hopefully between the two of us, one will have a thriving tree from which to gather scions in the future.

2 Likes

I have communicated with Dan Bussey over the years while he was writing his books. During that time I never realized just how much information he had amassed. He said it would probably several books worth. It is 7 volumes when it was published. My wife bought me two sets for Christmas and my birthday. They are GREAT books and I refer to them all the time. Lots of great information and some really nice photos of the paintings of certain apples. Well worth the money to buy these apple books.

1 Like

I checked on my Munson Sweet graft from last year a bit ago. It doesn’t appear desiccated/dead so there’s hope. I didn’t do the scratch test just because I didn’t want to jinx it :slight_smile:

On another note, my Gideon’s Sweet graft from last year also looks healthy.

Fingers crossed for both of them.

4 Likes

Anyone have a Munson sweet scion to share this year? Thanks everyone.

Try the Horne Creek Preservation Orchard in NC. $4 a stick if they have it.

1 Like

For some reason I didn’t think they had it listed. Turns out they do. Thank you.

1 Like

For the past 3 years, I’ve been researching the laboratory and mathematics methods used in horticultural science to determine genomic relations in fruiting plants. So far I have 4 articles published in scientific journals on the subject covering various aspects with a 5th coming this winter.

Initially I began the studies to acquire skills to test the cultivars in my fruit tree repository. However, it soon turned into a rout of all the mathematical methods and now a rejection of some (not all) of the laboratory methods.

The bottom line is that vast majority of horticultural genetic diversity studies are incorrect – including those concerning apples.

Here is the paper regarding mathematical methods:

The remainder can be found here:
https://frostconcepts.org/

2 Likes

I have one Munson graft alive, but there isn’t any decent scionwood. I ordered a stick from Maple Valley Orchards for next spring. $4.50

2 Likes