Lost varities that someone may still grow

I went down a rabbit hole on reading a Permaculture Farm story

and found

Which i think is a fantastic idea. Alot of heirloom and unknown seed varieties there. Their website is all over the place and you gotta do alot of clicking to get to some of their stuff. Its nice that they offer a catalog since the website is very tricky.

3 Likes

Not a ā€œregularā€ but at some point Iā€™ve purchsed from Salamander Springs at the Farmerā€™s Market.

2 Likes

Southern Exposure sells these. See here: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

2 Likes

I am looking for a German Red Carnations. It was an heat tolerant vibrant red carnation that used to be grown around the San Antonio and Texas Hill Country area. It was around in the 90s, but seems to have died out.

Also, on a different topic, does anyone recognize what kind of cantaloupe this is below?The watermelon is shiny boy.

5 Likes

The cantaloupe type is typical of the varieties from Israel. Is it green flesh? or orange?

1 Like

Looks like somebody saved hybrid seedā€¦and the next generation has a lot of variability.

orange. The flavor is intense. It makes the regular cantaloupe you get in those melon cups taste like cardboard. The flesh has a little bit of firmness so itā€™s not mushy.

4 Likes

Someone may have done that once, but I save seed from it every year, and it breeds true. It does through an off-type now and then which is completely smooth and has no netting whatsoever. My father has decided those donā€™t taste as good (they taste the same, the one he tried just wasnā€™t as ripe), so we arenā€™t saving seed from those.

2 Likes

Looks delicious. If you you have the gumption of sharing any of the seeds from this melon I would be happy to pay you for some of the seeds.

3 Likes

Southern Exposure is my favorite seed source!

Their history is actually kind of fascinating. Itā€™s a commune in central VA and they bought out or merged with efforts with, if I recall, a UVA horticulture professor hobby trade. A college friend of mine worked their one summer.

3 Likes

Was able to get a few seeds i have been looking for last year.

1 Like