Lycianthes moziniana - Tlanoxtle

Anyone here grow this? I ordered some seeds last year and am currently overwintering one in my basement. It flowered way too late to fruit this season.

2 Likes

Interesting… would love for someone to compare the flavor to a ground cherry (aka goldenberry).

There’s another plant in the tomato(?) family whose name escapes me. It has 1" fruit that is yellow/orange, the plant is easily identifiable because it also has huge, vicious thorns.

Hopefully this year I can taste them and if they’re good I’ll save more seeds. I grew ground cherries last year for the first time and they were surprisingly good.

I have one Tlanoxtle sprouted, which I’ll try to grow in a container.

dimitri_7a: Are you taking about Naranjilla? (Solanum Quitoense)
I have two of those growing in pots. I love the spikes and it’s fun to see a few impaled fungus gnats here and there. Probably not old enough for fruit yet, if that’s possible in Maryland.

1 Like

Yes! Gotta look into this plant more - thanks for your reply.

FYI you have to hit the reply button on a comment or use the @ sign before the username like @dimitri_7a to notify the person.

I only saw your comment to me by luck.

EDIT: For those wondering this is what the plants spikes look like:

1551033851_can-you-grow-naranjilla-in-a-pot-learn-about-container-grown-naranjilla-care-takeseeds-com-533x800

3 Likes

Those look wicked! I tried germinating some Naranjilla this year, but was unsuccessful.

Tlanoxtle is surviving, but I may need to give it a deeper pot as I’ve read it grows deep roots.

Both Naranjilla also survive; below is a few pictures of one I was sure had died only to be proven wrong.
Monsters just have that habit I guess.
I think this dirt was a mix of Ecoscraps+Perlite. I don’t really have a clue about fertilizing soil, but I may have used a small fertilizer spike+Epsom salt.

Summary

That little brown thing at the base was once the main stem of the plant and for a long time it just stood in the dirt looking hopeless next to a 3rd Naranjilla sprout which didn’t make it.

1 Like

So interesting! Thank you very much! :+1: