M106 apple rootstock

does anyone have experience with m106 rootstock is it productive an how long to bear fruit an how big of a tree?
im planning to graft a unknown apple variety i found onto rootstock to plant in my yard. I live in zone 6b WV. I want it to be a free standing tree. The soil is well draining.

1 Like

I have. Chehellis on M 106, it’s over 20 years old, still producing and well anchored. I did have to put a brace under one side when it began to lean about 15 years ago, but other than that it’s done very well. It’s an east tree to pick as a semi dwarf.
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

You mention your soil drains good; other things about the M106 should be fine. There are 2 Stark Bros. trees on M106 at my mom’s place that are 35 years old. Not very productive anymore, but hanging in there. They bear a little quicker than M7 or M111.

1 Like

What do you think of that variety? I have several scions to graft. I think I read it was a good apple.

It’s always a good one, except for some reason this past year my surround could not coat them enough so the moths had a party. Maybe next year I can zap them with my new infrared device. Fingers crossed!
Dennis

1 Like

??

Is it this?

1 Like

Yes, so for Christmas I got the Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect Killer, 1 Acre Coverage,Black fro Amazon.
One of my friends here uses it to zap them along with the pesky mosquitoes! She highly recommends for Apple protection.
Dennis

2 Likes

Mainly I plan this next year to do G-210 and B-10…but I think I’ll find a couple M106 as I’ve not grafted to that root previously.
Last year M7 had a 95% ‘take’ rate…an also important consideration for rootstocks.
And I’ll have a second or third variety on G-890 bloom next spring.

For the home orchard, if you have good drainage, M106EMLA is highly recommended IMO.

1 Like