Madame Boutant pear - good tasting fruit?

I’m going to have a few Potomac fruits this year for the first time. I’ll try to remember to report on the quality.

2 Likes

Mine did not fruit this year. It will likely be a couple of years.

1 Like

Not to hijack the original thread, but here’s my Potomac tree and a few fruits from it this season (sorry for the poor focus). I think there are likely a dozen or so pears on it this year, though I’ll have to dig around some in the foliage to be sure I’m not missing a bunch. Sorry for the horizontal photos, I’m not sure how to rotate them.

3 Likes

Nice looking tree, I would like to hear your thoughts on the flavor and ripening date as the season progresses!

I’ll try to remember to post when I harvest some of them, along with photos.

2 Likes

I believe the mystery pear is identified as Madame boutant Unknown Pear- unique flowers
Here are other photos

It looks like I grafted Madame boutant 7 years ago Callery pear mutation

Pears are mislabeled so often and rare pears without descriptions are even worse. This was posted on another website so I’m not sure what to think! This photo differs greatly from the photo at Corvallis.

05-img_7307

2 Likes

Madame boutant or whatever it is it would seem I have 1-3 trees of which all fell victim to poor tagging that year. More pictures coming soon as 2 more large pears coming into production.

This mystery still goes on with this pear. Cummins posted this photo of madame boutant.

Originally the wood came from corvalis i.was told. The pear in my photos matches their pear photos. There is nearly no information available so it’s hard to compare this pear. They have never mislabeled anything in my experience.

I grafted a scion of Madame Boutant from Cummins this year. I think I should have done my homework! The pics from May’17 (GRIN) posting show scab - on leaves and fruit. And GRIN’s description bears this out:
|DISEASE|FRUIT_SCAB|RATING OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY FRUIT SCAB|4 - (1 = NO DAMAGE, 9 = SEVERE DAMAGE)|PYRUS.CORVALLIS.1988|||
|DISEASE|PSEUDOMONAS|RATING OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY PSEUDOMONAS|5 - (1 = NO DAMAGE, 9 = SEVERE DAMAGE)|PYRUS.CORVALLIS.1988|||

Yet your Jan 21 pic looks perfectly clear! Do you control scab with lime sulfur spray? Or perhaps, unlike western Washington, you’re luckily not in scab country!

1 Like

@cdamarjian

Yes we have only mild scab problems here due to the weather. This pear grown here we call madame boutant is a fireblight susceptible type.

Once again higher degree of problems regarding fireblight. There are very few reasons I can find to recommend this pear.

That’s sad to hear, as all my grafts from the spare scionwood @cdamarjian sent me have taken on my neighbor’s volunteer mountain ash leaning over the property line. The fruit description was so enticing!

1 Like

@swincher @cdamarjian

We can’t say with 100% certainty the wood I received is madame boutant. As I said above I question if it’s mislabeled as the pears look very different. We only know the pear shown above is not resistant to fireblight.

1 Like

Fireblight is pretty much non-existent in my cool location north of Seattle. One year I saw it on newly planted Romeo and Juliet cherries and pruned it out. Never saw it again.
No strikes on apples, pears, plums, or peaches. Nothing even last year with our crazy heat wave.

Win- glad to hear your scions took. Amazing on mountain ash! You’ll have to lean over further and try some other pears next year! I have plenty of pears to try.

1 Like

@cdamarjian

The picture above of the madame boutant does that look like your pear? That wasn’t fireblight on your cherries as stone fruit dont get it.

Just grafted Mme Boutant this year - long wait. Good to know about cherries.

1 Like

@swincher
Winn- glad to hear your scions took. Amazing on mountain ash! You’ll have to lean over further and try some other pears next year! I have plenty of pears to try.

1 Like

The neighbors already asked if I can graft over the rest of the tree next year!

2 Likes

How great is that - only a 2-3 year wait for fruit!
You probably know that Shipova is a Euro pear/Mt. ash cross. Great tasting and scab resistant.

1 Like