Maine recently updated it's "Do not sell list"

I will take Rosa rugosa over many weeds on that list esp. Japanese knotweed.
This is from York Beach ME.

6 Likes

yep. jap. knotweed definitely belongs on that list.

2 Likes

I wish Georgia had a banned list. Some state park will be having a “privet pull” day event where volunteers come and remove it and down the road there will be a nursery selling it for some uninformed person to go and plant in their yard.

2 Likes

The uninformed gardener is the hard part about a lot of plants. People on this forum are going to ask questions and try to find details but I have seen many people let suckers come out of rootstock while the tree is dead and complain the fruit is bad, seen many people complain about annuals not producing after 30 days of planting, talk about planting one fruit tree in their yard not knowing you need two different kinds, planting invasive plants etc. Your average gardener just sees a plant at the local nursery or big box store and says that looks good or I like that kind of food and plants it. I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw they still had some bare root plants in July. My first thought was that poor person who tries to buy that.

2 Likes

In Ohio we have a banned list, to which they recently added bradford (cullery) pear. Every spring we see those wild pears in greater numbers. Another species that are very troublesome here are the autumn/russian olives. Another couple that I don’t see on the list, yucca and ornamental grasses. All of these I deal with on an annual basis here on our land.

2 Likes