Making Maggie's Orchard

This is a collection! :+1:

1 Like

I’m going to have to try harder…you’ve gotten ahead of me!!! :upside_down_face:
Congratulations on a very fine collection of apples.

1 Like

We overlap on 43 apple varieties and 3 pears, not including varities I’ve tried to grow or used to grow. An impressive list.

1 Like

I originally grafted to a bunch of wild trees around the property near the house. I purchased a bunch of scion from Walt Rosenberg before he retired and sold off Masonville Orchards. I was too aggressive cutting back the trees and had a lot of failures, and the deer devoured what was left. I wish I had some of those varieties still. I’ll do my winter pruning in late Feb / early March and will post what scion I have available then. Let me know if you want anything John.

3 Likes

Andy, will you be selling at stores or doing a you pick?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’ll try any farmers market sales or not. If I could wholesale to someone that would be great. Definitely won’t be doing UPick, I don’t have the patience required to deal with the general public anymore (been there, done that, not doing it again). I have a large % of cider varieties, but not enough of any one variety to be beneficial to a hard cider producer. I hope to start doing some of my own ferments, for personal use, to get some experience. I’m interested in seeing if I can develop enough interest to sell to home brewers. I’m at least two years (or more) from any significant harvest and I’m not in a position that I’m relying on income from the orchard.

5 Likes

I have 37 of your apples.

(And 90 or more apples you don’t got.)
(6 pears shared, you have 14 I don’t, I have a dozen you don’t)

Andy you have by-far the prettiest orchard, as most of mine are disorganized and in containers…you have a lovely picture-book orchard.

5 Likes

Even if you began developing a hobby interest group /tours for cider making if that is the objective, I bet people would be interested in the educational aspect of learning about varieties and I wager it would bring you joy to educate people. Folks coming for an orchard tour/cider making demonstration aren’t going to be the status quo customers…

3 Likes

You would be surprised what a cider maker would take. In some instances a random blend is a base that then gets blended in with strong proper cider apples. I would ask them what they may be interested in.

Here in Alaska there isn’t a whole lot of commercial apples available (any at all?). The local cidery buys tons of apple juice from the lower '48 and would happily come pick apples from local trees if the owners don’t want them. I imagine that they would happily buy just about anything they could work with but i also imagine that it would be wholesale prices by the bushel. I’m not interested in that.

2 Likes

MN#993 is Fireside. Some seem to quarrel over if Connell Red is a redder sport or a seedling of Fireside. I’d figure sport unless someone can prove different by DNA.

(I don’t have either … not that into Macintosh apples.). But zone 3 hardy might be the deciding factor for some.

I goofed and put a private message here. That’s why I deleted it. But one of topics was the difference between Connell Red and Fireside, hence Bluebird’s response. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Andrew, Where did you find the Dudley Winter?

Hi Carl. The Dudley scion came from Maple Valley Orchard in 2018. I grafted to G.210 that spring. Dudley produced for me for the first time this season, just one apple, but I was glad to see it produce. Follow up with me in late Feb / early March, I will probably have some scion wood available.

1 Like

Thanks Andy. Looks like they don’t have any scionwood listed right now, but I will track some down.

1 Like

I edited my post, follow up with me in late Feb !

1 Like

Thanks Andy, will do!

1 Like

Hoping to see some new videos of your progress in the coming year. Loved your last two!!

How did you arrive at your soundtrack music? They were great choices. Relaxing and inspiring, a great combination. :blush:

3 Likes

I subscribe to Epidemic Sound for the YouTube Channel. Since we’re not monetized (we don’t have enough subscribers) the subscription is pretty reasonable. I’ll edit in the music and see how I like it. I think I tried about 6 tracks on those newer ones before I settled on these. In Epidemic Sound I’ve created a few lists of tracks I like so I don’t have to search every time I edit a video, I just review what I’ve already listed.

2 Likes

I finished winter pruning yesterday. I’ll sort out scion and offer it up if anyone is interested (apple and a little bit of pear).

4 Likes

The crabs are always the first:
Centennial:

Dolgo:

5 Likes