Masking tape for securing graft union?

I got some grafting notes from Bob Purvis since it will be the first time my husband and I are attempting grafting. In them, he instructs to secure a bench graft with masking tape and grafting wax.

I haven’t been able to find any videos or images of this method, which makes me wonder if it’s unconventional.

Have you ever heard of using this combo? Would you recommend it for a beginner? Also, how to you safely remove the wax covering the masking tape without damaging the tree when the time comes to do so?

1 Like

I’m a beginner too at grafting.

For me, I use grafting film (it’s like plastic kitchen wrap as a tape) and thick rubber bands.

I graft scions that are 4inches or smaller on a cleft graft, and I wrap the film tightly over the graft union. Then I wrap the entire scion with the film to prevent moisture loss and encircle the graft union again tightly with the rubber band. The tightness from the film and rubber bands supplies pressure to ensure cambium contact and is sufficient to keep the scion in place as it heals.

When you cut the wedge on the scion for the cleft graft, make the two edges long, flat, and symmetrical with each other. Be careful cutting into the stock (where you insert the wedge), as it’s the most dangerous part.

Many ways to do it. I found melting grafting wax a hassle. I buy parafilm and grafting rubbers (rubber bands) from A.M. Leonard. I secure graft first with bands then parafilm over the bands and graft.

I know freezer tape is a good option- may work by itself as long as you seal the cut tip of scion with something- wood glue, grafting putty, caulk, Elmer’s.

1 Like

A lot depends on what you are grafting and what type graft. Apples and pears work fine using high rubber content electrical tape. Cleft and bark grafts using large rootstock IME works best with grafting wax. I made several very successful pear grafts on 6 inch rootstock a few years ago.

Combining masking tape with wax is for two very different effects. Masking tape gives structural strength to the union. Wax seals it so water and air stay out. Combining them provides good conditions for callus formation.

Budding is a different animal where unusual materials may be used. For example, I use summer greenwood budding on walnut with a ziploc bag and some electrical tape.

Here is the tape I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8BXT9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

1 Like

I use buddy tape (parafilm for plants) parafilm is used in labs, not meant for grafting but works well. Buddy tape lasts longer. And electrical tape to secure. Rubber electrical tape not the common plastic tape. Works for me.

I had not even considered masking tape as a grafting agent. I figured it would be too weak to make a good tight seal.

Then I got my scions from the UGA Botanical garden. An they were using some form of tough waxy masking tape you can write on. In 3 colors too.

There was a tiny bit of sticking to the wood; but I rolled it right off with a finger. Where do you buy that kind of masking tape???

I used masking tape one season but the stuff stays on and looks ugly forever.

Yes i have done it. The problem is getting it back off. I knew people that turned the tape around and grafted with it using sticky side up. If you try to peel it off later and its sticky side down it can peel the bark. You dont want to do that. The wax is to seal it in and thats a good method.

Sounds like painting tape.

1 Like

I emailed them and they said it came from Lowes.