Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

Here’s how big Baby Red fruit gets in a pot. It gets a little bit bigger in the ground-
Mature Baby Red jujubes smaller image

9 Likes

Back in the spring, when I moved some mature jujubes, I ended up with roots which accidentally got snapped off. I grafted to them and some have done well. Here’s a Black Sea which is over 2 feet tall and actually has fruit on it, after being grafted on 3/26.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the ones I put into tall pots (allowing a longer section of root) have done much better. Most of the ones in the smaller pots just put out leaves, but no verticals. It could also be related to the amount of water in the pot- the tall ones probably take longer to dry out, with my somewhat lax watering.

5 Likes

a friend texted me below photo taken at a local store. 18$/lb, which is just ridiculous. Will check it out when i get the chance. Fruits look like jfae’s mango dong zao…

and below is another outrageously priced juju. Just incredible that the species that needs no pesticides and hardly any upkeep continues to be the most expensive.
Contorted Jujube 5 Ft Tall up With Flowers Shipping With Pot - Etsy

6 Likes

Wow $220 for a 5 foot tall jujube. My Bok Jo graft from 5 weeks ago is almost 5 foot tall. Crazy pricing.

2 Likes

here, bok jo was vigorous on sugarcane interstem. Its foliage seem to be favored by leafcutter bees though, so branches could end up leaf-deprived in the southwest

3 Likes

Something is definitely different about Bok Jo’s leaves. Here in CT, they are noteworthy in that they are by far the largest jujube leaves. In fact, I made a post about it a couple years ago. Though I guess the question is are the leaves so big because it is happy growing here (stressed jujube often have smaller leaves), or is it productively happy because it makes big leaves to better capture the slightly less abundant light (vs the sunny SW).

A couple other jujubes also have noteworthy leaves- all my Honey Jar are wrinkled early in the season (easy to ID at a glance). Churchpoint seems to have small, but dark green leaves that stand out from other cultivars.

2 Likes

here, li and sherwood may have foliage that are longer, but not as wide as bok jo’s, which probably have the largest surface area. Bok jo 's also have a matte appearance and with a different tinge of green.

hj’s seedlings may exhibit this non-planar trait.

4 Likes

:grimacing::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::grimacing::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::grimacing::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::grimacing::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::grimacing:

Something relieved me of the duty of picking and tasting Baby Red………

1 Like

Oh no! They must be good :slight_smile:

Mine are too. Some years they stay wrinkled the entire season.

I’ve never connected leaf size to any other trait, but I’ve never paid really close attention. The most productive jujube I’ve ever grown is Sweet Tart and it has consistently small leaves. Some cultivars seem to have consistent leaf size on the tree without much variability from one branch to another, or from one year to another, like Sugar Cane. Other trees seem to have wide variability in a given year an/or variability from one year to the next. This year Sherwood, Orange Beauty and Redlands have some large leaves. Orange Beauty usually doesn’t but I’m not sure about the other two.

Redlands-

Orange Beauty-

Sherwood-

5 Likes

Well…… I may have solved the Porterville/Big Melon debacle. I have a later graft of Big Melon whose fruits look like this:

And NOT this (which is what the fruit on my other “Big Melon” is growing)

Soooooo……. Guess who that leaves to blame???!!!

Which means that I have 3 grafts of Big Melon and only one of Porterville instead of two of each. How good is Big Melon?

@castanea
@BobVance

5 Likes

That makes sense because I had more wood of Big Melon than I did of Porterville. I had very little Porterville wood. But that one fruit does look like Porterville!

I have only sampled Big Melon fruits one year and here was what I thought-
The fruit is very dense, maybe the densest jujube I have ever eaten, but it is still very tasty with a very nice flavor.

1 Like

I’m sure I mixed them up but don’t know how. If I knew how I guess I wouldn’t have mixed them up! At least the Porterville fruits are recognizable. The largest one of them that looked even more typical has disappeared from my tree along with several other juju fruit (including the Baby Red) and leaves and a few peaches and plums. Never had much problem with critters before but my outside dog didn’t make it very long past her 17th birthday and then this year everything is hungrier because of the heat and drought. I am sooooooo ready for winter.

2 Likes

The largest Porterville fruit I ever grew was stolen before I could even take a photo of it. It was bigger than this one -

6 Likes

I checked it today. It’s over 3’ tall now, but the fruit isn’t sizing up. Well, at least it should be big enough to survive and produce next year.

3 Likes

The fruit on my Porterville graft may not be sizing up, but it looks like the Texas Tart graft at a different rental is. This graft has only put on 1.5-2’ of growth (vs Porterville’s 3’+), but it’s not a bad tradeoff for 8-10 fruit.

The Texas Tart graft is on a very productive Sugar Cane. Lots of fruit on it and it is still flowering- 2nd crop?

On a different tree (a Li) at this site, there is a Norris #1 graft from this spring. Today, I removed a large branch (which didn’t have much fruit on it yet, so I didn’t feel too bad…) which was shading it, so hopefully it continues to size up. I didn’t get too close of a pic, but you can see a curved pepper shaped fruit in the pic. Both Norris #1 and Texas Tart came from Fruitwood nursery. After adding them, I’ve now got all the jujubes they offer, other than Jin (I’ve heard it is more for drying).

6 Likes

The pepper looking fruit of Norris #1 looks neat. Hopefully, it tastes good like Masandra.

2 Likes

Here’s another new variety (Hetian Jade) which is already fruiting. This one is at my house, which makes it pretty uncommon (most 1st year fruiting grafts are at a 2 or 3 of the rentals).

Usually when a graft fruits, it only does so from the old bud on the scionwood. One of the two Hetian Jade grafts actually has a couple fruit on the new growth- the other Hetian Jade graft also has fruit, but only from the bud on the graft wood (still pretty good).

6 Likes

Hetian Jade and Bok Jo are very precocious.

1 Like

Coincidentally, I have a tree (a So planted last year) at a rental where the two grafts are Heitian Jade and Bok Jo. It will be a race to see which produces first and wins the “most precocious” award.

Edit- I checked and there were no fruit on either graft. But, but had put on good growth, so it is only a matter of time…

3 Likes