Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

thanks for the kind note @Jenna1 ! It made my day :slight_smile:

i admittedly have the wildest assertions, coming up with the most outrageous ‘conspiracies’ in this forum when it comes to everything green that have to write a disclaimer each time lol! Btw, noticed you mentioned your doubts(quite gently and politely), and curious what it was that you might want to point out. Any critique is most welcome-- some people tend to get sore or insulted when critiqued, me being a student myself am actually happier scrutinized/ proven wrong than proven right :slight_smile:

anyway, which part of vegas does your mom live? Have broadcast jujus around this city, across america, and even across the atlantic and pacific, so tell me when your mom is ready :slight_smile:
and yes, we give them away for free. If you are not in a hurry hopefully you can wait until the spring after next . Would much prefer for your mother to have jujus on their own roots than as grafted on ‘hardy’ rootstock. Here in vegas, practically all of our named seed-grown jujus are hardy to soil and weather conditions. Keep us posted!

3 Likes

Your insights about the subject matter are so novel and thats reason why I could not fully agree. Your rationales are on-point by the way, so I am more in agreement. I actually bet you are right. Youve diversified my points of view which wouldnt have figured out for myself. I doubt if any of my professors and peers can give a more insightful perspective on tree senescence and rejuvenation.

And thanks for the offer to share trees with my mom! She is in her 70s so will ask her first. She lives in Summerlin at Sun City

1 Like

BTW, what do you think of somatic embryogenesis?

1 Like

thanks for the vote of confidence! Have to say though i was actually hoping you(considering your degree in botany), or someone else-- would ‘argue’ with me, lol! Btw, what trees do you grow?
anyway, tell me if your mom is interested. Jujubes are great trees to have, be it here or any other zone(the ultimate temperate tree in my humble opinion), but yes, jujus do shed their leaves in winter, and can be thorny, depending on cultivar.

that is a loaded question. I actually don’t have much to say about it other than being extremely curious. Especially with regards to projected lifespan and if it actually reverts the clone into seedling status that actually undergoes a juvenile phase.

all can say is that even though tissue culture hormones/rooting hormones known to science are quite effective in inducing some degree of juvenility, it is quite likely there are other hormones produced by seedling rootstock that are yet unidentified. Tissues from senesced avocado trees have been shown not to respond to available laboratory hormones. The senesced clone will have to be grafted to seedlings first, sometimes serially, before clonal cells start responding to laboratory hormones(callusing then differentiating into root buds and leaf/stem buds)

2 Likes

I will not argue with someone who makes sense LOL!
I would like to read some of your references though if you can post them.

here are a couple of fascinating ones:

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/grafting/reasons/ReasonsGBLeft.html

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/252516642_Possible_Rejuvenation_of_Adult_Avocado_by_Graftage_onto_Juvenile_Rootstocks_in_Vitro

and below are some of my arguments against the notion that any clone taken(airlayer/root sucker) from a mother plant will get rejuvenated by the very act of separating from mother plant. I actually think the clones are the same age as the tree they were obtained from–unless grafted to recently sown seedling rootstock.

2 Likes

Just pm’d you :slight_smile:

5$ for a few pieces. I guess it is sold at a premium since most trees are now fast asleep. It does look like dong zao(i didn’t buy as suspect these aren’t at their prime, probably transported across pacific ocean–from china)

3 Likes

Forgot to mention, your guitar arrangement is great but still challenging for newbies :frowning: Would you have a bare bones version?

if you’re a visual learner, not sure if you’re already doing it but you could slow it down by running the video at 0.5x or 0.75x speed.
as for bare-bones version, am afraid that wouldn’t be possible. I arranged that in the most economical way–just enough bass and rhythm guitar accompaniment for the melody. Whittling it further would result in conspicuous gaps…
btw, i presume you’re familiar with guitar chords?

1 Like

here’s a tangle of twists and thorns. Can’t wait for these stems to fatten up!

and below is that hole in one have been nursing for 4 years now

9 Likes

figured doing a print screen of this shanxi li natural espalier(couldn’t find the original photo). The laterals attained 4 feet long and at this stage, quite trainable by splinting and strategic pruning.
Will espalier jujus once we move to another property.

8 Likes

I am familiar with basic chords. Strumming is easy for me, but fingerstyle play hurts my left fingers. My friend was also asking if you have tabs for your arrangements.

1 Like

are your strings metal–all 6 of them? Will pm you the basic chords when get the chance.
sorry i dont do tabs… Have you tried running the video at half speed? You could pretty much come up with the tab just by watching in slow-mo. Doing so would also facilitate learning the piece as you go

1 Like

All strings are metal, why?

you can replace with nylon strings if the fretboard is wide enough. Nylon wouldn’t cut through your fingers as much.

1 Like

Thanks, will try that.

1 Like

while braiding juju stems tight look cool instantly , braiding loose(here just a simple figure-of-8) will create a much longer-lasting cosmetic effect. Tight-braiding of uprights will soon auto-graft into a single trunk and lose the twisty appearance, but braiding them with a sizeable gap will nicely form a tree-trunk portal to another dimension…

7 Likes

graftage of two different cultivars or species is easily the most ancient form of biotechnology. Unfortunately a type of segmental graft so the the chances of producing a blended chimera is slim. Braiding is also grafting, but it is oriented longitudinally and spirally so hopefully the meristems coordinate to form an adventitious node that will have cells of two cultivars blended into one.

stems(both of contorted cultivar) fused into one, after 5 yrs of braiding

a younger braid below

8 Likes

I presume a chimera bud will be more likely to develop at the braid?

1 Like