Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

Just pm’d you :slight_smile:

5$ for a few pieces. I guess it is sold at a premium since most trees are now fast asleep. It does look like dong zao(i didn’t buy as suspect these aren’t at their prime, probably transported across pacific ocean–from china)

3 Likes

Forgot to mention, your guitar arrangement is great but still challenging for newbies :frowning: Would you have a bare bones version?

if you’re a visual learner, not sure if you’re already doing it but you could slow it down by running the video at 0.5x or 0.75x speed.
as for bare-bones version, am afraid that wouldn’t be possible. I arranged that in the most economical way–just enough bass and rhythm guitar accompaniment for the melody. Whittling it further would result in conspicuous gaps…
btw, i presume you’re familiar with guitar chords?

1 Like

here’s a tangle of twists and thorns. Can’t wait for these stems to fatten up!

and below is that hole in one have been nursing for 4 years now

9 Likes

figured doing a print screen of this shanxi li natural espalier(couldn’t find the original photo). The laterals attained 4 feet long and at this stage, quite trainable by splinting and strategic pruning.
Will espalier jujus once we move to another property.

8 Likes

I am familiar with basic chords. Strumming is easy for me, but fingerstyle play hurts my left fingers. My friend was also asking if you have tabs for your arrangements.

1 Like

are your strings metal–all 6 of them? Will pm you the basic chords when get the chance.
sorry i dont do tabs… Have you tried running the video at half speed? You could pretty much come up with the tab just by watching in slow-mo. Doing so would also facilitate learning the piece as you go

1 Like

All strings are metal, why?

you can replace with nylon strings if the fretboard is wide enough. Nylon wouldn’t cut through your fingers as much.

1 Like

Thanks, will try that.

1 Like

while braiding juju stems tight look cool instantly , braiding loose(here just a simple figure-of-8) will create a much longer-lasting cosmetic effect. Tight-braiding of uprights will soon auto-graft into a single trunk and lose the twisty appearance, but braiding them with a sizeable gap will nicely form a tree-trunk portal to another dimension…

7 Likes

graftage of two different cultivars or species is easily the most ancient form of biotechnology. Unfortunately a type of segmental graft so the the chances of producing a blended chimera is slim. Braiding is also grafting, but it is oriented longitudinally and spirally so hopefully the meristems coordinate to form an adventitious node that will have cells of two cultivars blended into one.

stems(both of contorted cultivar) fused into one, after 5 yrs of braiding

a younger braid below

8 Likes

I presume a chimera bud will be more likely to develop at the braid?

1 Like

you got it! Hoping it will develop adventitious nodes where the cells are twirled and thinly insinuated.

a regular graft is nothing more than a parfait, where the two different organisms are well delineated and layered horizontally-- and only at the tips, whereas a braided graft is more like a mocha twirl. So just hoping the twirl gets shook up more into a milkshake :slight_smile:

while adventitious buds may develop from stems(outside of the usual locations of juju uprights and laterals) it rarely occurs above root level. The roots seem to exhibit more plasticity and spontaneity, especially when severed from main tree, so my next project would be to grow desired cultivars on their own roots, then braid the roots…
will probably take a lifetime still, lol

5 Likes

My lifetime or yours… :flushed::flushed::flushed::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Makes me wonder what the cross section and longitudinal section of the five year old braid would look like now that it is fused into one. They didnt teach us that in histology class!
I figure the lumber will have a tiger stripe appearance since there will be several sheets of heartwood and sapwood forming

1 Like

women outlive men by leaps and bounds, so that’s an ace up your sleeve :wink:

quite likely you’re right, especially at the braid’s age. I surmise though will ultimately assume the concentric inner heartwood and outer sapwood typical of ‘normal’ trunks as the braid gets much older

1 Like

BTW Raf, we will be checking out the decades’ old Jujube tree at UNLV next week. Excited to see what an old Juju looks like in person!

4 Likes

vegas glitzy, forgot to post this last year. Fruits are still on the small side(first fruits on a recent graft), hoping they get bigger with time. I liked it for its unusually waxy dates.
just like eating a piece of honeycomb. But unlike honeycomb that is soaked in thick honey, this one is more like beeswax drenched in light maple syrup :slight_smile:

9 Likes