Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

Pulp is easily removed by fermentation. Then crack the pits by carpenter pliers…and Bob’s your uncle.

1 Like

have officially used all 5 senses while studying jujus.

sense of sight(fruits/thorns/bark/foliage etc), taste(fruits), smell(flowers), touch(relative firmness of dried dates), and now–sense of hearing.

5 Likes

spinosa-type fruits may have seedlings which throw seedless small-fruited blanks, but conversely, may bear relatively large-fruits as if not having wild-type genes. Additionally, larger fruited cultivars may have progeny that will bear relatively smallish fruits. Below are the first two fruits of “vegas glitzy”, which came from a pit of spinosa type fruit that was not much larger than a pea. It deserved getting christened a name due to the size(already bigger than most hj, and the quality of the fruit was pretty good for the first-ever crop. Can’t wait to broadcast this as rootcuttings/suckers to all and sundry! Bigger fruited jujus were grown under netting as didn’t want the first few fruits to be ruined by birds, which results in having to wait another year to get an assessment(life is too short as it is, but growing new cultivars from seeds make life even shorter)

10 Likes

This wild Jujube rootstock used for pollinating all my brand jujube trees always loaded with small fruits and tasted Ok.

Tony

10 Likes

nice @tonyOmahaz5 !
a rootstock one could recommend for colder regions. Does it produce viable seeds?

1 Like

I cracked a few seeds a while back and the seeds are viable.

2 Likes

nice!

1 Like

I need that tree!!! Well at least the seeds!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

rootstock diversity is such due to nurseries propagating them from random seed, so best to have your grafted trees’ rootstocks develop a few twiggies and allow to bear fruit to see if they might be good quality, or if they might be prodigious seed factories.

or better yet, both.

1 Like

@jujubemulberry really nice video and love the background music!

I recently discovered jujubes but don’t know much or nothing about them and I would like to get some of them, what are the best varieties that I can grow in zone 8a (Virginia) and where is the best place to ordering some of them? Thanks

2 Likes

Englands Orchard (nuttrees.net), and chinesereddate.com.

6 Likes

Thanks @Ruben.

And yes, @PaulinKansas6b is right about nuttrees being the main nursery when it comes to jujus.
For a beginner and for your zone, am sure many in this forum would concur that the variety honey jar is the way to go as a first juju tree.
Burntridgenursery and JFAE are the other two nurseries who also have the more popular selections, including honey jar.

keep us posted :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you @PaulinKansas6b and @jujubemulberry for your response and for the info.

3 Likes

Definitely add GrowOrganic to the list. I’ve gotten very nice Trees from them for two years in a row. Both large caliper and good root systems. They also have both sugar cane and honey jar.

4 Likes

great to see that new nursery @BobVance .
maybe new to just me as have been off the internet lately…

Here’s a pic of the trees I got this past January.

In particular, the above post shows how the roots from Grow Organic are much larger than those from Bay Laurel, even though the trunk calipers are similar (both are pretty large, ~5/8 to 3/4"). They are also a bit cheaper.

Chinese Red Date nursery also has very impressive root systems, with slightly thinner trunks. But, if you don’t buy the Amerizao (new varieties which are more expensive), they are probably the most cost-effective option, especially when you consider what nice trees they send. I placed a larger order with them this year, though they are now sold out of many of the new varieties.

5 Likes

got to hand it to you --your attention to detail is extraordinary. Btw, i was reading through your quoted posts and should have noted of groworganic at the time but for some reason eluded me!

4 Likes

They have a 20% off sale through this Sunday, which puts them at a pretty competitive $40 each. Code is THANKSGIVING19.

3 Likes

that really is competitive if they continue to sell them at 5/8 to 3/4" caliper sizes

2 Likes

two samples of seeds given to me by one of the members for identification. Purchased online from various purveyors. Actually had 5 samples given to me but they were either non-viable or outright non-jujubas(what appeared to be gourd seeds!)

those at left(marked #1) were grown from three seeds, one of which was too broad to be a true jujuba, and the other two looked just like true jujuba seeds(relatively small and narrow).

as younger sprouts they looked like true jujubas as well. But now beginning to look like NOT xmas… All developing extra-broad cotyledon-leaves with relatively long petioles.

the pair at right continue exhibiting jujuba traits, but may be too early to tell

6 Likes