Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

Took those pictures last week. My friend had her Covid shot at UNLV.

1 Like

been a while since last posted here. Our prolonged winter delayed our trees by at least a month…

8 year old laterals on this contorted, some are already dead, but several still alive and producing blossom buds. Juju laterals continue to get “shorter” as the main trunk engulfs them outwards(as main trunk thickens) at their bases. Laterals also don’t thicken as much as a result.

below is vegas kinky with a promising upright. It is assuming a horizontal stance not because it is limp and dehydrated, but merely flexing its muscles. Green stem “uprights” of contorted cultivars don’t grow vertically due to their crooked growth patterns

6 Likes

I’m thinking about getting So. Is the fruit good? How big is that one in the pic?

1 Like

there’s at least 2 contorted cultivars being sold by various nurseries under the name “So”.
just fruits and exotics sells the one with better-quality fruit, being larger, and juicier, and no bitter after-taste when ripened in 115F summers.
both cultivars of contorted produce viable seed. The specimen i featured and christened “vegas kinky” was grown from seed of the smaller-fruited variety which i obtained from burntridge nursery, and its first fruit last year was better than its mother’s(but unfortunately the same size), hopefully subsequent crops turn out to be bigger, and much better-quality than last years :slight_smile:
while a most welcome addition to the gene pool of contorted cultivars(since intend to mass produce and share), am certain that releasing it to the general public would add to the confusion and identity crises.

3 Likes

I was looking at the Edible Landscaping one. For some reason it is cheaper than the rest even though it is the same pot.

I’ve read tons of threads here on jujubes. Seems to me that all of the ones considered the best are usually the smaller ones. Got Black Sea, Li, and HJ now and looking to expand. Jujube is another lazy mans tree. Exactly what I need.

3 Likes

i think edible landscaping also has the same type as jfae, but am not too sure. Maybe @BobVance can clue you in.
if you are handy with grafting, post a request later this year or early next year for budwood. Many of us here are willing to trade/share :slight_smile:

My first So from Edible Landscaping was very tasty - I couldn’t understand why so many people weren’t more enthusiastic about So because I thought it was great. Unfortunately my tree died after a late frost followed by an ambrosia beetle attack. I ordered a second So from Edible Landscaping to replace it, and the second one had a Dave Wilson Nursery tag on it. The fruit looks identical, and it’s edible but not nearly as good as my original So from EL. The tree’s growth also isn’t as contorted. If I were to order from them again, I’d ask first where they’re currently sourcing their So trees and avoid the DWN So.

3 Likes

I think my Chico jujube almost died!!! I’ve been watching it and all my others have leaves. Upper branches look dead to cambium scratch. About three of the lowest branch’s have tiny leaves beginning.

:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

Kathy,
I am so sorry that you have lost several wonderful fruit trees with that artic blast. I still feel bad about your Eureka persimmon. And now jujubes :unamused: The girl needs a break !!!

2 Likes

Oh no. Wondering about relative hardiness of common jujube varieties. My HJ still not waking. Incidentally, I emailed ChineseRedDate to order some trees. They replied that could not grow rootstock large enough for grafting this year so will not be selling trees for 2022. Pandemic reasons

1 Like

We really did have it bad. I know it gets that cold and much colder at lots of different places but we were like fishes out of water. The damage around here is bad. I didn’t think it would get my jujube though…and this Chico is my oldest one.

Not good!!!

Ellen,
In the Texas situation, it’s not just the very low temp, it’s the sudden drop that did a lot of trees in. They were not prepared for such artic blast and could not handle it.

Where I am, which is in a lot colder zone than Kathy, temperature does not swing very wildly so our trees tend to tolerate cold weather well, as most of the time, it happens gradually.

1 Like

Oh I know. North TX is used to fairly mild winters with just a couple weeks in mid 20s each winter. This one was a doozy. We had many West Coasters recently move to DFW for jobs. Lots of shock this year.

2 Likes

Other thing I noticed - we had our first “false spring” with warmer temps (close to 80 deg) just before the polar vortex. I bet a lot of trees started emerging from dormancy only to get blasted by arctic temps.

2 Likes

Keeping in mind that flavor can be different under different growing conditions:

Autumn Beauty has large fruit with excellent flavor.
Chico has medium to large fruit that is excellent.
Shanxi Li has large fruit with excellent flavor.
Dae Sol Jo has large fruit with excellent flavor.
Porterville has large fruit with excellent flavor.

These are Chico jujubes-

8 Likes

Good luck.
I lost some limbs on some jujube trees. I haven’t come across any that are completely dead yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if I did.

3 Likes

sorry to hear that @k8tpayaso . If remember it right-- that may have been one of the trees you drove hundreds of miles for…

just glad it didn’t dieback below the graft. Am confident it will bounce back with the remaining viable branches it still has.
late cold spells are relatively rare in your area, so hopefully statistics veers towards several years of zero late freezes for your jujus.

sometimes jujus will take until june to start leafing out, even here in vegas, where temps can heat up much earlier than most other areas.

1 Like

I found another limb today that has swelling buds and green cambium. So there may be more of it left than I thought. Won’t do any pruning for a while yet. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I got hit last year under the same circumstances, late bitter cold just as the plants were picking up stride. They all tripped, but only the weakest of the youngest new plantings didn’t have enough energy to pick themselves back up. None of mine are established like yours, so the stumble was notable. Long term I like your odds, it will be interesting to see how such an established tree responds to such outlandish weather conditions that may just become norm. How are the other fruit trees in the area being affected?