Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

My ‘Abacus’ almost died on me this Spring. It developed sour sap/bubble bark and took forever to leaf out after two large branches died. I’ve had bubble bark on quite a few chestnut trees but this was the first time for a jujube.

But now it has flowers and maybe I will get a chance to taste the fruit.

6 Likes

Do most of your jujube trees are still in the pots?

Jujube suckers are impressive spreader.

8 Likes

This is why I have all of my jujube trees in containers.

3 Likes

All of mine are in pots.

3 Likes

No shoes, no service :slight_smile: Or maybe “Tread lightly”? It looks like one right by your house too.

2 Likes

does these sucker come from own roots jujube or grafted? does it make any difference? do you dig these up to have a new jujube seedling cultivar?

1 Like

They are rootstock suckers below the graft. I usually dig them up and potted them to graft the following year. It is a easy dig since the roots are real shallow near the surface.

2 Likes

Is that because of your move, or are you planning to keep them in pots going forward? If so, how large of a pot do you use?

It’s about 2 weeks later than Shanxi Li, but some of the more prolific varieties (Honey Jar, Xu Zhou, Bok Jo, etc) have started to set fruit. Still not heavy sets and the fruit are just starting to form.

Honey Jar:

I doubt that Shanxi Li can possibly size up and ripen all the fruit which is on them. I’m tempted to try preemptively thinning some branches, to see if it helps the fruit hold onto more of the fruit, rather than just dropping most.

Shanxi Li:

I think grafting multiple kinds onto a tree is a good way to compare different varieties of fruit. Here’s a Mei Mi graft (last year) on the same Shanxi Li, pretty close to the above pic. Lots of flowers, but no set.

Mei Mi:

5 Likes

Mine are in pots because of the move.

1 Like

Wow- if only I could make all my trees set just by talking about them online. Less than 24 hours later, I see half a dozen little Mei Mi fruitlets…Though you need to look carefully in the pic to see them.

Also, I’m not sure if the dry (no rain for >14 days now) weather is causing more jujube suckers, or me not mowing the (mostly brown) lawn is letting me see them.

4 Likes

I’m having the same luck. They really stick out during the dry weather!

2 Likes

I won’t have to complain about my fruit not drying on the trees this year.

7 Likes

Here’s a pic of the larger graft. It’s over 2’ tall.

Even more exciting is that it looks to have some fruit. I count at least 3 in this pic:

This is at the same site where 2 Sihong grafts have a lot of fruit. And Redlands, and a bunch of others.

At a different rental, Texas Tart graft is also carrying fruit.

The Texas Tart graft is on the below Sugar Cane, which has also started setting:

9 Likes

With respect to Porterville - wow!

This is recent picture of my “Big Melon” fruits.

Picture of the fruit on “Porterville”

11 Likes

Please keep us update with the big melon fruit. If it is juicy, crunchy, and sweet is my kind of jujube.

Tony

3 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 I’m really thinking that the Big Melon scion is switched with the Porterville scion. The fruits on my graft that is supposed to be Big Melon is looking more and more like Porterville fruit.

3 Likes

It does look like they were switched.
I’m sure it couldn’t possibly be my fault :rofl:

3 Likes

Nor mine!!! :wink::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes