Maxine pear

The Maxine pear is not uncommon though there is an abscense of information available. It’s a spray free easy to grow firelight resistant type of pear. Here is my harvest today off my tree on August 22nd 2021. My mother had never seen this one before so I asked her to come along for the harvest. I’m sending the crop home with her after I pick them so she can make them into pear sauce for her winter supply. @mamuang asked me to take some photos.

27 Likes

That is one beautiful pear. Wooowwwwwww. The French really understand the pear. It is their queen of fruit.

5 Likes

I live in a deep valley of heat and humidity. My Maxine will get fireblight on 25% of its twigs. The blight never crosses the boundary of the new growth and old growth. Twig break off within 2 years. No maintenance needed.

10 Likes

Clark , I am looking for Maxine harvest windows in Midwest Region. Your information is very helpful.thanks. Mine should be ready in another week or so if the animals don’t beat me. .

3 Likes

Maxine/Starking Delicious is the best pear I ever had straight from a tree.
Remember the date, 8/21/1981.

6 Likes

Mine come in from early august to late October depending on spring and summer weather.

3 Likes

Thanks, Clark. It is raining like mad now from Henri so I can’t go out to look at mine to compare to yours.

2 Likes

I wrote it down on my note now

2 Likes

Maxine is a pretty pear. Mine looks like this now. I am wondering if it turns color or just little yellow to indicate it is ready?

8 Likes

Right. It’s marketed by Stark’s that way.

2 Likes

I actually got scions last spring in trading, and have Maxine on a Bradford rootstock along 5 other varieties. And have it added to a asian pear tree.

1 Like

I grafted a Maxine pear to a Callery pear rootstock. It is in its 2 year.

2 Likes

Do mine look like Maxine?

The top one has pale blush on it. The bottom is all green but it does not get as much sun.

1 Like

@IL847
Your pear is very clean. My has sooty blotch all over.

1 Like

@clarkinks, Maxine is our favorite pear, and I don’t even like pears that much. But we got some at an orchard years ago, and liked it so much, we got a tree (Starking Delicious) in 2017. We have canned a few quarts of them from the orchard. Our tree has still not born any fruit yet, although it did have a few blooms this year, but they got froze off, along with the rest of our pear blooms.

4 Likes

Maxine is also my favorite pear. The only negative comment that I can make is that it takes a LONG time
to bear. Even grafts take at least 5 years to fruit.

2 Likes

It probably depends on the rootstock. My Maxine was grafted in 2018, scion from Clark (Thanks, Clark). It started blooming last year.

2 Likes

My first Maxine came from stark bros. I grafted a twig from it to Callery pear seedling 2.25 years ago.

2 Likes

But did it fruit?

1 Like

7 Likes