Maybe figs do taste good

AH…I see. So not your first fig for sure but your first really, really good fig I guess! I like to let mine ripen to the “jelly” stage you described too, so maybe that was part of why you liked this one! Whatever it is, congratulations on finding a fig that excited and inspired you so much. Me and many others can relate!

not really sure, but did you post a decades’ old beaucarnea/nolina a while back?

That’s doubtful. Bourjassote Gris is even darker inside than Gris de St. Jean.

@HighandDry @BobVance I’m referring to the fig called Medici that hoosierbanana is referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

I don’t remember either? As I have a decades old beaucarnea.

must have been you i saw posting it-- if you actually have one. There aren’t many who grow them, and quite certain there are even less who actually have them for decades!

I hope it works out for you. There was some hullabaloo about a variety this seller introduced a couple years ago and I think time ended up telling a different story. There are plenty of people eager to vouch for each other on fig forums, it is a poor substitute for growing something out and verifying it though, and bad for confidence when there is a hitch.

@ross Since it was found in a hunting reserve I think it is more likely to be a seedling than a known variety.

I am continually impressed horticultural prowess Bob. Nice work! My original cuttings came from Encanto. Your pictures don’t look too far off from theirs given it ripened in Jan on a window sill.
Regardless, I hope it is a great fig for you and grows well.

1 Like

Thanks Andy- the starts were in such good condition when you sent them that they hit the ground running. I remember being impressed with how fast they filled the new pot with roots after I re-potted them.

How has it done for you so far? Just as precocious?

1 Like

Before I bought the fig I researched her activity on f4f. Herman and other were trading with her. Her collection is large, she has many figs , but does not sell them. I could not find anything negative about her. She has been a member since February of 2010, she has 8 dogs. I felt I could give her the benefit of the doubt. She was interacting with Bass, Rafed, and other old timers who used to post. She is an old timer, a definite regular and well known to the old timers. She mentions many rare figs she has way back in 2011. After 7 years of collecting rare figs she is an expert. I trust her judgement that this is a worthwhile fig, She has tasted them all. Well nobody has, she is up there with the best of them though. Her collection probably would rival anybody mentioned in this post.

I got the impression that she had not tried it herself, but she never said one way or the other. The Italian listings were more complete and since she did not answer me directly when I asked who wrote the descriptions I figure it was not her.

In the auction she mentions her plant had a few figs. Using other people pictures is really poor and sends off red flags, that was really poor.
What was sad while researching was Olga, whose real name is Olya (Nice name!) had some rare figs in 2011 and they are still selling for a lot! Argh! 5 people have PM’ed me on F4F for Craven’s Craving cuttings in the last 2 days as the auction is now over $67 for 3 cuttings. Well if you can’t beat them join them I guess? I really don’t like this about figs, but it is the way it is.

Olya is the affectionate diminutive form of Olga (like Drew is for Andrew :slight_smile: )

1 Like

After I wrote that I thought that may be possible, so what culture is that name from? Suppose it could be a few.

Most probably Russian. All Russian names have affectionate diminutive forms (often multiple) that are commonly used, except in formal situations. To quote “The adventures of Tom Sawyer,” “Tom knew that when his name was pronounced in full, it meant trouble.” :wink:

2 Likes

I have two nicknames. I was always called Andy, but when i went to college my friends starting calling me Drew and it stuck. I had to explain Drew to my high school friends, who insist on calling me Andy. I just went to lunch with two high school friends today. I’m a super lucky guy I have some great friends. They have my back.

1 Like

The description is taken from the Italian listing as well, word for word. Only the last line is original. The Italian listing: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291944578813?rmvSB=true

2 black fig cuttings for sale in this auction.

Variety :unknown to me,my ref.name MEDICI HR black fig N.1 Any suggestion re its variety name are welcome.

The mother tree is growing in the huge area,used to be hunting reserve of famous florentine family Medici,it was seriously damaged during the wind storm happened on 5th March 2015 and then cut to prevent accidents. Now it has grown from roots in a few trunks 2.5-3m tall (so very fast growing variety).
All figs (not many) taken from this tree were asymmetrical by shape,all different forms , BUT the taste was SURPRISINGLY EXCELLENT :sweet and strong at the same time,aftertaste of pomegranate. And these figs were from only one year old tree ! usually the taste is improving with age! My vote to this fig is 8.5-9 of 10 (the same as Dottato) but I can assure you that the taste of this one is something special…

Limited quantity of cuttings are available for sale.
The picture with pink glove to show the dimention and the age of the trunk before damage occured.

IT IS ENTIRELY THE BUYERS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE ITEM THAT THEY ARE BIDDING UPON OR PURCHASING IS LEGALLY ALLOWED AS AN IMPORT INTO THEIR STATE/COUNTRY. I WILL NOT be held responsible if your country of destination rejects, destroys or confiscates the shipment due to overseas Customs regulations.

This auction allows buyers to remain anonymous to other eBay users.

Olgas: http://www.ebay.com/itm/fig-cittings-Medici-HR-Black-1-/112227478550?hash=item1a21476c16:g:L6oAAOSwj85YLk1b

2 black fig cuttings for sale in this auction. Variety :unknown to me,my ref.name MEDICI HR black fig N.1 Any suggestion re its variety name are welcome. The mother tree is growing in the huge area,used to be hunting reserve of famous florentine family Medici,it was seriously damaged during the wind storm happened on 5th March 2015 and then cut to prevent accidents. Now it has grown from roots in a few trunks 2.5-3m tall (so very fast growing variety). All figs (not many) taken from this tree were asymmetrical by shape,all different forms , BUT the taste was SURPRISINGLY EXCELLENT :sweet and strong at the same time,aftertaste of pomegranate. And these figs were from only one year old tree ! usually the taste is improving with age! I can assure you that the taste of this one is something special… this listing only for US buyers. I don’t sell often, only when I get lucky to sell something real good and unique… I’m Olga on all forums

The item condition from the Italian listing claims the find "black antique fig tree from Medici hunting reserve area,best find of 2016!”

I don’t want to get involved in an argument, that is why I didn’t point out specifics at f4f. It is worth considering that a group of “defenders” can be very effective at discouraging what they consider to be negative comments, from individuals like me who have seen others get mobbed at least. It is a real shame because the “full picture” is what the old timers always worked towards; spending years sorting out unknowns before selling them, and that is what formed the foundation of trust all of those high prices are sitting on top of. The current “groups” would have never attracted me to become involved, they don’t value the same things that I do as a grower, my opinion is that many are more concerned with their public images than reality.

@Drew51 @hoosierbanana

I asked Olga last night. Her tree has not fruited for her, and I don’t think she’s tasted it either. She told me that at a fig tasting it got 3 reviews… 10, 9 & 8. I also asked her if I’d get compensation in any form if the cuttings turned out to be something else, and she said she doesn’t make mistakes, haha. Famous last words & like Brent says… it’s copied exactly from the Italian listing.

I did however take a gamble with this one and went ahead and bought a package, so Drew… I’m with ya on this one. I hope it turns out good!

I understand your point of view, I looked at everything too and have come to a different conclusion. Time will tell.

Well that is not good, the risk just increased. Oh well it may grow fine and be terrible! Taste tests? So others must have brought this here?

She got her’s from that Italian listing last year. Anyway… I don’t think it will taste bad. You can’t argue with the pictures.

1 Like